I Got a Hall Pass!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the record, the Villa Aldora is true waterfront and is in the serene near north of town. All rooms have refrigerators, coffee makers, microwaves and kitchenettes. Free bikes for those who don't want to make the short walk into town. If diving with Aldora, pick up is just 50 ft from most rooms.

This is as commercial as I get, but seems to meet most of the OPs needs

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Hi Dave- I like to dive my own computer (and my buddy's of course) and shoot my DSMB and surface on my/our own according to remaining gas. What is Aldora's policy??
Thanks!!

Hi Dave- I like to dive my own computer (and my buddy's of course) and shoot my DSMB and surface on my/our own according to remaining gas. What is Aldora's policy??
Thanks!!

Nope

Dear Ya'll,

Because we have so much more extra air (50% more per tank) we continuously find that even our average divers get over 1 hour 10 minutes per tank and many times much more. That includes deep dives as well as shallow dives.

I personally feel that it is not safe for individuals, or even buddy pairs to surface willy nilly, usually without the use of a SMB. Therefore since we started in 1992 we have always kept the groups at least within sight of the DM. That is even in the PADI Dive Manual section on drift diving.

You see, there are two issues: First, the dive sites are mostly right in the middle of the high speed routes of boats going north and south and believe it or not, all captains are not attentive. I don't know the statistics now but back then being hit by an oncoming boat with serious consequences was very common.

Secondly, being alone or buddy pair on the surface while the group continues diving, offers no professional help if a health or other problem occurs. I have heard of many instances where someone has surfaced early because of discomfort only to experience a serious health issue while waiting for ANY boat to come by. The outcome is usually not good.

So staying with a highly trained DM and surfacing as a group under the DM's SMB (which our captains track) assures that you can come up safely and have our boat right there on the spot.

Now, I understand that if there is a "hoover" in the group that could shorten the dive for everyone. That is why we go through the considerable expense and maintenance associated with HP tanks. That allows us to offer very long dive times to everyone, and in the opinion of some—a safer way to dive.

If you have followed Aldora trip reports you will find some astounding dive times. IN fact just a week or so ago there was a report of 6 dives with us over a weekend going to great deep places and still having about an hour and 20 minutes average per tank.

However, if you think you paid for every molecule in the tank and demand to use it, regardless of dive time and safety then Aldora is not for you.

I hope you can think it through.

Best Regards

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Dave, I think the issue is not that a hoover with a large tank will shorten the dive to less than 60 minutes, but that a diver who "surfaced early because of discomfort" will end the dive for the whole group, and that could be at 10 minutes with 2200psi left. Most of those issues you mention apply to divers surfacing before the group but I think most asking about this policy are divers who would surface after the group. The DM can still be in the water, watching the divers below, and making the captain aware of their presence. In most cases, it only amounts to 5-10 minutes but that can make a diver feel frustrated. I don't think PADI requires OW divers to dive with a DM at all.

Having read through this tread... I may be wrong but is there a big pink elephant standing here that hasn't been mentioned? The OP has been to Coz several times and has been diving with 3P's but it sounds as though he was staying at a distant AI with non-diving friends and family and was picked up by 3P's at the resort's dock. The big pink elephant is staying in town (where I certainly would want to stay if I had a Hall Pass) is the fact that 3P's offers courtesy transport from their in-town shop to their boats at the marina and back which I'm not sure the OP realizes. Staying at the Casa Mexicana, the Suites Bahia or the Colonial all put him within a 5 minute walk to 3P's shop for courtesy transport to their boats and back that departs from 7:40-7:45AM. I say forget the beach thing you've had to endure with your family and friends, stay in town, and have the best bars, restaurants and night life at your feet. If you want a great water view and place to kick back with a small dipping pool as you watch the Coz world go by the Casa Mexicana's pool deck is tough to beat.

My recommendation is contact Jeanie through 3P's website and see what she can put together for a dive-and-stay package with accommodations at one of these related hotels. The breakfast buffet is served at the Casa Mexicana (the most expensive hotel of the three) but if you stay at the lower priced Suites Bahia or the Colonial you still get the free breakfast buffet at the Casa included with your stay... Ya just have about a 4-8 minute walk to it get to the Casa to enjoy it... 4 minutes from the Suites and maybe 8 minutes from the Colonial.

For the ultimate ease, simplicity and in-town luxury accommodations a hotel that borders on a semi-resort can provide I'd stay at the Casa Mexicana that is our preferred in-town accommodations. Jeanie knows the best rooms at the Casa and they are NOT all of the Casa's Delux Ocean Front rooms unless you can get the 5th floor (rooms 510-504 which are certainly worth the extra cost if ya want the best). There are far cheaper city view rooms that offer better ocean views than many of those Delux Ocean Front rooms on the 4th level down. 3P's clout with the Casa usually means Jeanie can secure one of these preferred rooms for you be it Delux or city view if you book a dive-and-stay package with 3P's. For us it has become an absolute no-brainer... We contact Jeanie with our arrival and departure dates, our dive days and schedule, and request a city view room that offers great ocean views. We get a price quoted back and it is done. Furthermore, 3P's negotiated rates with the Casa and the Casa's sister hotels matches or beats anything I can find spending hours and days checking the various hotel booking sites for those accommodations. Easy Peasy.

It seemed clear to me that he is not interested in a cab ride to marina but wants to be picked up at a dock by the boat.

It seemed clear to me that he is not interested in a cab ride to marina but wants to be picked up at a dock by the boat.

I didn't get that. I thought he just didnt want to have to get to the marina himself. Thus, picked up at a dock. Or, in deepsea21's scenario, be given a ride, at no cost, to the marina would be just as good.

I think from what the OP asked, staying at Aldora's Villa would be almost perfect. The only issue to me is the distance from town. The walk is not terrible but I wouldn't want to do it often. The bikes help with that.

The dive your own tank thing comes up often but usually from people that have not dove with Aldora. I have done quite a few solo trips with Aldora over the last 3 years and the surface as a group policy has never been a concern of mine. Sure sometimes dives are a little shorter than they could be but they are still very long. They have enough boats to be able to keep the groups pretty close in experience level. Night dives aren't limited to Paradise reef, not that it doesn't make for a great night dive. 1.5+ hour beach club SI's are also very nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom