I Got a Hall Pass!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you know or recall what a taxi to the square costs from Blue Angel? A mile walk sounds like more of a hike than the OP is after, but even at 90 pesos one way from Casa del Mar, it can be looked at as though it's about $10.50US a day on top of whatever the room costs. If Blue Angel is less than that, it's almost a no-brainer to stay there. Dock pick-up. Shore diving. The ride to the square, or wherever, is going to be quick and easy. $120 pesos, round trip, would only be about $7US on top of the room per day.
80 pesos (IIRC) one way to the square or to Mega for 1-4 persons. Compared to the expense of the trip as a whole, it's down in the noise.

Blue Angel: Far enough from town to be away from cruise ship crowds but close enough for fairly short cab rides or a 20 minute walk, excellent dive shop on premises, nice pool, on the water (not across the street from it), dock for dive boat pickup, very good restaurant, quiet (only 22 rooms), decent shore diving with free tanks and weights for guests, free coffee in the lobby at 6AM, clean and spacious though a bit rustic rooms, great staff... what's not to like?

80 pesos (IIRC) one way to the square or to Mega for 1-4 persons. Compared to the expense of the trip as a whole, it's down in the noise.

Blue Angel: Far enough from town to be away from cruise ship crowds but close enough for fairly short cab rides or a 20 minute walk, excellent dive shop on premises, nice pool, on the water (not across the street from it), dock for dive boat pickup, very good restaurant, quiet (only 22 rooms), decent shore diving with free tanks and weights for guests, free coffee in the lobby at 6AM, clean and spacious though a bit rustic rooms, great staff... what's not to like?
Agree 100%.. stayed there the first week in May and used the on site dive OP. Free breakfast as well in their restaurant with stay and dive package. Only thing i would recommend is bring earplugs or a white nose maker if you're a light sleeper. All concrete construction so walls / doors sound paper thin.

Does the BA dive Op have fast boats or the cattle cars? Do they allow you to dive your air?

Does the BA dive Op have fast boats or the cattle cars? Do they allow you to dive your air?
They have two fast boats (the Jibara and the Blue Angel II) and a bigger that's one not as fast (the No Problem). Usually the bigger boat goes out later.

The DM stays down as long as there are divers with air and NDL time left; the rest go up as they need to.

Ouch. I suppose that's due to zoning. Blue Angel is much closer to town than Casa del Mar.

That said, it is down in the noise and as much as I like Casa del Mar, I'd be inclined to stay at Blue Angel for this kind of trip and the circumstances described by the OP.

I am really leaning towards Blue Angel right now based upon all the great advise here. You guys are awesome!
My Hall Pass dates will be around the last week of June through the first week of July. It will be my first dive trip by myself in over 30 years!

@deepsea21 I’m none of the stereotypes you listed and still prefer not to be on a boat with you. I don’t know you but based upon your postings to this site I don’t think we’d get along too well and I am a pretty easy going guy.

@deepsea21 I’m none of the stereotypes you listed and still prefer not to be on a boat with you. I don’t know you but based upon your postings to this site I don’t think we’d get along too well and I am a pretty easy going guy.

Well, it has been 5 months since I've been diving so perhaps I'm suffering from surface depression. Come the 4th of July my wife and I will be picking up a new puppy as we had to put our last girl down in Jan at 12 1/2 years of age. After that weekend I'll be working on training a new pup for several month with all of my free time. Rest assured, you'll seldom see me here, if at all, after the 4th.

Aldora is by far the best shop for air hogs
Used to be but not anymore but still dive with them. Most dives I have over 1000 PSI left.
and those who have $ to burn.
I would rather save money on hotel rooms.
Last year I dove with both OP's, 4 dives with 3 P's and over 60 with Aldora. To me I feel I get a better value diving with Aldora but would have no problem using 3 P's again. When comparing ops wouldn't it be a good idea to have used them first?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom