I had to stop watching

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the feedback. Only dove Caribbean once in Mexico years ago. There were a couple of morons on the boat who had consumed alcohol prior to getting on the boat but nothing like the total idotic behavior and lack of training I saw in that video. I was considering booking a trip to Bonnaire with the local LDS but will go to their Lake Erie trip instead. I figure hard to expose your ass to everyone else when in dry suit temps. Thanks for the feedback. If this is common practice I have no interest in diving in the Caribbean again.

I do not understand this comment. I dive where I want to dive to see what I want to see. Why should I not go because of some thing done by others I do not know that does not personally affect me.

I see lots of bad drivers on the roads. Makes me careful but I do not quit driving on roads.

Your comparison is apples to oranges. Your friends are all Pro level highest achievement scuba divers and you're watching a video of a tourist operation with what looks like newbies, as someone else pointed out that happens thousands of times without incident.
'what looks like newbies' should not be at 130 feet, particularly with those skills.

Edit to: 'what looks like newbies' from 'Newbies'. It is 3 Padi classes to get to 130' recommended depth, (OW, AOW, Deep).

Newbies should not be at 130 feet, particularly with those skills.
So are you the self proclaimed scuba police? Who is going to judge if you're competent on the dives you do? Or me or anyone?

Geeze, its an easy dive. It's probably a concierge trip ((and I have the greatest amount of disdain for those that participate in these)

They were kids having fun Dive and let dive is what I say unless you're a risk to me

Reactions: EdC
So are you the self proclaimed scuba police? Who is going to judge if you're competent on the dives you do? Or me or anyone?

Geeze, its an easy dive. It's probably a concierge trip ((and I have the greatest amount of disdain for those that participate in these)

They were kids having fun Dive and let dive is what I say unless you're a risk to me

Nobody :
  • With lesser skills than me should dive where I do
  • Who drives slower or faster than I do should be on the road with me
  • Who is younger than I am should be allowed to vote

For rec divers, I don't think 'easy' and 'just-past-the-rec-limit' go together.
If it was a concierge trip, no one in their group seemed to have leader level skills.

I'm not the scuba police, so I did not rail on the crowd bouncing along at 20', they're new, maybe their instruction was really bad. And 20' is an intro depth. The guy crunching the bottom endlessly, I would rail on. For the 'looks like newbies' deep crew, 130' is not an intro rec. depth.

That is not correct. I am AOW and I'm allowed to and perfectly capable of diving to 130 feet. Deep class not required.

Padi has no control over your diving outside of class, but their deep class description includes:
"Whatever it is, to scuba dive with confidence at depths down to 40 metres/130 feet, you should take the PADI Deep Diver Specialty course."
- Deep Diver | PADI

I believe the distinction is that even as OW you can dive to 130' based on training and experience, but not trained to it. OW trains you to 60', AOW trains you to 100', and Deep to 130'. So three classes.

More exactly:
Each specialty entails completing additional dives, involving additional performance requirements. As for the 'advantage', one can argue that the additional training you receive is an 'advantage'. With specific regard to AOW and the Deep Diver specialty, AOW nominally certifies you to dive to depths of 100 feet (you are certified to dive in conditions equivalent to your training, and the maximum depth allowed for the Deep Adventure Dive, by PADI standards, is 100 feet. In contrast, the Deep Diver specialty certifies you to dive to depths of 130 ft.

Padi has no control over your diving outside of class, but their deep class description includes:
"Whatever it is, to scuba dive with confidence at depths down to 40 metres/130 feet, you should take the PADI Deep Diver Specialty course."
- Deep Diver | PADI

I believe the distinction is that even as OW you can dive to 130' based on training and experience, but not trained to it. OW trains you to 60', AOW trains you to 100', and Deep to 130'. So three classes.

More exactly:

PADI has no control over it, but dive charters especially here in the US do.

I don't remember the exact language from the PADI manuals as I got my AOW more than 10 years ago, but my recollection was that AOW allowed diving all the way to the recreational diving limits of 130ft. My personal experience confirms it, as no one ever asked me to show Deep Diver card when diving 100+. I did a deep dive (obviously) as one of the five specialty dives of my AOW, and I'm not sure what else the actual Deep Diver specialty can teach me that I don't already now... Unlike, say, the Wreck Diver course, which expands significantly on the material offered in a single specialty dive.

True it's not the done thing but it was a sandy bottom, no big deal really. Just like anything else they did, no biggy.

Looked like eel garden to me, well that is until, they landed

The most troublesome issues I see in the video is the women who is steadily loosing her tank, but nobody is paying attention. She was obviously way out of her comfort zone, simply by the fact that she is clutching the computer and watching the information is taking up 90% of her band width.

If the tank popped out and pulled the reg from her mouth there would have almost certainly been a life threatening panic attack. That was more concerning to me than needlessly kicking up silt and trying to bury the computer in the sand in order to record the maximum depth possible.

Not necessarily, I've seen that happen more than twice, one female, one male, different locales, and neither panicked a bit though the male did go to his knees on the bottom. I got him fixed up and we had a chat top side. He'd been trained for an unexpected eventuality. The female, I can't recall her exact response but she was cool about it too. Must have been some ok training involved, just no tank checking.

Back
Top Bottom