I hate my "HOG" Harness!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rustyshakelford

Contributor
Reaction score
I tried out my new HOG harness today hate it!

I used to dive my doubles with a transplate with a stainless backplate and a classic 360 wing. I was to heavy and ordered an aluminum backplate and oxychek hog harness from Edd at cave adventurers.

I threaded the webbing thru the backplate and spaced the d-rings. its not to bad to put on in the house when i take it to the truck, but when i have my drysuit on it is a totally different animal.

I put my left arm first since i wanted to make sure the valve didnt get damaged, then had a heck of a time getting my right arm thru. it was a nightmare getting the thing off also!

im not overly large by my judgments at 5'10" 200 lbs. and think im pretty flexible but is this part of the "HOG" harness or is there something im not doing right. i think i could even tighten it up a little more as i had a little wobble in it at depth. if i can get it figured out, im going to order a harness from dive rite with the quick disconnects

brett

for singles i still use my transplate with a stainless steel bp and rec wing

It takes a bit of adjustment and some technique. I too was frustrated the first few dives, now its simple and I prefer it over anything else. I generally put both wrists into the straps at the same time, past the glove rings, then slide the left arm in and finish with the right. its all one fluid motion.

I found that the super still heavy weight webbing works best for me and I cross the shoulder straps behind my neck when threading the webbing. T

I rigged mine so that the shoulder staps and waist strap slide in the backplate. To don, I pull the shoulder straps long, until the waist D-rings are pulled all the way back to the backplate, put my arms in, then tug on each side of the waist strap until the shoulders tighten up and then I buckle the waist.

Hey Rusty:

Try standing behind your tanks that are facing away from you, squatting, bring your arms through the shoulder straps from the inside and grasp the backplate. Now Lift up while standing (keeping your back straight), throw the rig over your head, straighten out your arms up and let your rig come to rest on your back. No matter what the weight, if your able bodied and somewhat strong, you can do it. Scuba tanks, rucksacks, jet packs, it doesn't matter if you have the technique.

Good luck,
Thomas

Hey Rusty:

Try standing behind your tanks that are facing away from you, squatting, bring your arms through the shoulder straps from the inside and grasp the backplate. Now Lift up while standing (keeping your back straight), throw the rig over your head, straighten out your arms up and let your rig come to rest on your back. No matter what the weight, if your able bodied and somewhat strong, you can do it. Scuba tanks, rucksacks, jet packs, it doesn't matter if you have the technique.

Good luck,
Thomas

Now pound your chest cause you're a real bad ass if you can do that with doubles.

Hunter

Hey Rusty:

Good luck,
Thomas

I watched some knuckle head with a AL 80 and a BC do this. He failed to remember he was still standing under the hatch of his SUV. Slung the rig up, smashed the hatch, bounced off it and smashed him in the head. There's darwin for ya :rofl3:

I switched from the HOG harness, I got tired of doing the chicken wing. Dive Rite has the deluxe harness that makes life easy. The rig stays on even if the chest buckle isn't buckled so the failure point argument doesn't hold. I like it a lot better than the plain HOG. I don't have the quick release shoulder buckle.

Backplates & Harnesses by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express

I use the "chicken wing' approach. Put your left arm in and then lean back into the plate and make a chicken wing form with your right elbow sticking out and put the elbow in first.

It helps to clip your reg off to the right shoulder D-ring first. Just before you're ready to put your right elbow in pull on the reg hose which will pull out the right shoulder strap if it's clipped to the D-ring. Now just slide your elbow in.

I needed the help of my buddy for the first few times. If your shoulder strap is so tight that you can't do this then the shoulder strap is too tight. It will tighten up when you fasten the crotch strap.

Why would someone like post a dumb-a** comment like that???????? Why do people treat this as a joke?

Your harness.....used to have a transplate, hate the hog harness......Just so happens, I'm the biggest Diverite dealer in Canada and one of North America's top 6 Halcyon dealers....How loose is your harness? What size doubles are you wearing? What kind of exposure suit are you wearing?

PM me we'll figure it out.

I threaded the webbing thru the backplate and spaced the d-rings. its not to bad to put on in the house when i take it to the truck, but when i have my drysuit on it is a totally different animal.

I put my left arm first since i wanted to make sure the valve didnt get damaged, then had a heck of a time getting my right arm thru. it was a nightmare getting the thing off also!

It's not adjusted properly. You'll probably have to play with it a little until you get it right.

Once it's adjusted (this may be a little looser than you were expecting), getting in and out shouldn't take any special contortions and it should be quite comfortable.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom