I have a crazy forum idea!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The MK-2 would be good. I would also include variants like the MK-3 and any direct copies by other manufacturers. Just for the sake of compactness.

We should come up with a format first.

Like name, description. In the case of the MK-2 flow by unbalance piston. And then whatever technical specs we can dig up. Then a section on production history. Then list resources, etc.

Why not use an actual wiki for that? I have to agree with TC. If there is much contribution at all, the threads will quickly become very long and ungainly to read.

The forum would be a great thing to use alongside the wiki. Editors and owners of products could discuss the encyclopedia pages in the forum.

You could store info on all sorts of scuba gear rather than just regs. Contributors could come and go. It will be a utopia!

I like this idea. It's basically a SCUBA Wiki which would be a great contribution to the preservation of SCUBA knowledge. The motto of the Wikimedia Foundation, which manages Wikipedia, is:

"Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge"

We could do something similar but the scope would be limited to the past, present and future of SCUBA diving. I'm not sure how much of the approach that's been refined to manage Wikipedia could be applied to the curation of SCUBA Wiki, but I'm sure it would make for a great beginning.

I third the MK2, a great simple bulletproof workhorse reg. Basically one moving part, two O-rings, and a high pressure seat. You could use it as a weapon to beat down your assailant that’s trying to rob you, then go for a dive afterwards to celebrate your victory.

Validation code RE:eek:ldschoolmods

Responding here instead of the Mk2 thread. I think this is a good idea.

In my field some papers are published as "Systematization of Knowledge", or SOK. E.g., "SOK: Why birds fly south". They try to collect an overview of the subject, from previous works already done by many, with a balanced view, not a controversial one.

You might name the threads that way, such as "SOK: Mk2", it could turn into a convention. With debate relegated to an associated discuss thread. Perhaps kicked there by the OP with assist by the mods. On issues of 'relegating' pesky posts to a discuss thread, you might create two thread, one "SOK: Foo", one "SOK: Foo (discuss)", link them both, and in the header say that OP considers SOK to be for informational points, and discuss will be relegated to (discuss). Basically mirroring wikipedia a bit. Some relegated posts might gain in the SOK thread a note/reference of 'there is a view that X, discussed in thread/posts Y'.

On copyright issues raised in the Mk2 thread, I'm not a lawyer but discussion of similarity / differences with other regs seems fine. Like Mk2/Mk3/etc and other companies similar looking regs.

Also a picture of ones own regulator, torn apart and laid out in the order of assembly with o-ring sizes, would be ones own work. With parts nicely lined up on the axis, with repair kit parts beside them.

I have a Deep6 Signature torn apart. Some thing like this seems useful. This picture is my own work. Separating a bit by conceptual group:
D6 Signature first stage 800.jpeg

A faint colored background would show the washers better.

Back
Top Bottom