I have a dumb question about cave training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSquatch

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I was looking at TDI's course outlines and it says "Rule of 1/3's for single tank and 1/6th for doubles" I understand the rule of 1/3's but why after cavern and during intro do they cut that back to a 1/6th when you're on SM or BM doubles? You have twice the amount of gas but they limit you to effectively the same amount as if you were on a single tank. It did say after full cave you're allowed 1/3's. Is it to keep the dives shorter?

Much of the learning at the intro level is gathered in the first part of the cave. Running line, a lot of the dramatic depth changes are in the beginning, keeping the team together, sorting out pace, etc.

1/6 gas rule keeps you close to the door with a relatively large amount of reserve gas and lets you do two dives comfortably on a set of doubles.

1/3 of a single is dumb. Don't do that.

For one thing, it will encourage you to get additional training so you can dive thirds. My cynical mind tells me that's all there is to it.

I was looking at TDI's course outlines and it says "Rule of 1/3's for single tank and 1/6th for doubles" I understand the rule of 1/3's but why after cavern and during intro do they cut that back to a 1/6th when you're on SM or BM doubles? You have twice the amount of gas but they limit you to effectively the same amount as if you were on a single tank. It did say after full cave you're allowed 1/3's. Is it to keep the dives shorter?
They (nonsensically) allow you to dive a single tank for cavern & intro.
Because they made a mistake allowing that in the first place, they have to make a second mistake and to allow you enough gas to actually do something besides duck your head under and turn around. So they allow 1/3rds on a single.
Agencies can be dumb sometimes.

Smart agencies start you off in cavern and intro in doubles and diving 1/6ths. That gives you tons of reserve which you will probably end up dipping into when you have to do OOA gas sharing exits or light-less blinds exits.

Smart agencies start you off in cavern and intro in doubles and diving 1/6ths. That gives you tons of reserve which you will probably end up dipping into when you have to do OOA gas sharing exits or light-less blinds exits.

I think I recall reading that NSS-CDS ditched the Cavern course entirely, requires Apprentice (the new first-level course) to be done in doubles, and because there is so much variation in tank sizes, they set a particular volume of gas as maximum for penetration--50 cf?

But yeah, to answer the OP directly, it's to keep us (I myself being at just such an intro level) on a short leash. It occurs to me that if I have to solve a problem, it may take me a lot longer than someone with more experience. Knowing I can afford to be methodical while I solve it because I have all the gas in the world should help keep me calm.

I think I recall reading that NSS-CDS ditched the Cavern course entirely, requires Apprentice (the new first-level course) to be done in doubles, and because there is so much variation in tank sizes, they set a particular volume of gas as maximum for penetration--50 cf?

Its more like GUE's and NAUIs three step GUE-F/ITT then Cave1/Cave2 progression now.
Cave Diver - NSS-CDS Training Program
CDS Basics / Apprentice / Cave

Since cavern and intro are often combined (when offered in 2 parts) anyway.

Cavern is still in the NSS-CDS Curriculum but is a pure recreational class only done in singles and doesn't count toward cave training at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom