I have a few questions about different certifications as well as different certification agencies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@emoreira NAUI does not have an AOWD instructor, there is only one instructor level. After that it is instructor training *basically an AI for the instructor course* and course director

Thanks tbone. I only have experience with SSI and SNSI. I don't know the current NAUI career path. I've taken that table from SNSI.

So after talking with you guys I'm thinking instructor may be a little ambitious. If I just got to DM or assistant instructor I would be qualified enough to get a job in the industry for the winter somewhere warm. Then after a year or so at that level I could think about moving up to instructor. Does that sound right to you guus?
My current instructor is through NAUI. That will be the easiest to transfer from if a prospective job requires a PADI, or other certification, right?

Hate to be a downer, but the chances of getting a job “somewhere warm” is incredibly small for a DM/AI with little experience. Most places hire locals for DM stuff and pay them in nachos. If this is your plan, pad your CV with lots of hireable assets like; multi languages, webpage design, reg technician, boat captain, compressor repair, diesel mechanic etc. There are tons of threads on the board on how to get a job teaching.

So after talking with you guys I'm thinking instructor may be a little ambitious. If I just got to DM or assistant instructor I would be qualified enough to get a job in the industry for the winter somewhere warm. Then after a year or so at that level I could think about moving up to instructor. Does that sound right to you guus?
My current instructor is through NAUI. That will be the easiest to transfer from if a prospective job requires a PADI, or other certification, right?
The going slower part sounds good.

Something else to think about - no matter how much you like and trust your instructor, taking all your training from one person is not necessarily a good thing. There's much to be said for seeing different styles and viewpoints. (I'm assuming this was the instructor you mentioned on another thread who steered you away from steel tanks?)

Hate to be a downer, but the chances of getting a job “somewhere warm” is incredibly small for a DM/AI with little experience. Most places hire locals for DM stuff and pay them in nachos. If this is your plan, pad your CV with lots of hireable assets like; multi languages, webpage design, reg technician, boat captain, compressor repair, diesel mechanic etc. There are tons of threads on the board on how to get a job teaching.
Yeah I don't expect to make much. Even if I didn't get paid at all but just got my room and board taken care of I would be fine with that as I always have plenty of money saved for the winter. I'm already fairly experienced with boats and navigation, working on diesel engines and repairing boats. How would I go about learning about compressor repair and reg work?

The instructor I have right now says that he has a ton of work for me if I progress with my certs, so maybe the best idea for me would be to work for him for a little while before I go somewhere else to find work, that way I can say I have some experience. The only problem with that is I don't believe there are many people diving in my area during the winter, which is the only time my work schedule would allow a second job. From May-Dec I am so busy lobstering and living on the island. Maybe if I have the right certs and experience I can go south looking for work, but with money saved I would have plenty of breathing room if I get turned away from alot of potential employers.

Anyway thanks for the advice. It gives me more to consider.
The going slower part sounds good.

Something else to think about - no matter how much you like and trust your instructor, taking all your training from one person is not necessarily a good thing. There's much to be said for seeing different styles and viewpoints. (I'm assuming this was the instructor you mentioned on another thread who steered you away from steel tanks?)
I am realizing that (about going slower). I am not in some big hurry where I think I need to get to instructor tomorrow. I want to make sure I do this right. I am just such an obsessive person though, that when I get interested in something I fully immerse myself in it. Diving is becoming that for me. I expect to progress a little faster than the average diver just because my lifestyle allows me to spend alot of time focusing on improving my skills and learning as much as I can. If I had a wife/kids/friends and all of that it would be much harder for me to meet my goals, but the way it is now I can dive pretty much any time I am not working.

I am starting to see what you are saying about my instructor. He is a great teacher and is very patient and willing to answer all of my questions even now that I am not currently taking any classes, but he may not be as knowledgeable as I think. There is one other instructor in my area that I know of, maybe I will contact him to do my AOW and see how that goes. Even if my instructor is a great diver, you are right that having another source of information can only help.

I'm still trying to figure out why he steered me to AL80's. I really wish he didn't because now I have 5 brand new AL80's and I really want to try steel tanks. I have been looking through craigslist and have found a few steel tanks fairly cheap. None of them are current on their hydro, but they are cheap enough that if I buy them and they fail I won't be out too much.

Firstly, you’ve got the passion and that’s great, it’ll really come through when working customers. So, the usual way to get reg technician certified (most manufacturers have their own training courses) is the shop you “work for” sends you (you work out the details with them). Most manufacturers will only train shop employees.
Similar to compressor maintenance although, you can source training through the manufacturers as well as local colleges and technical schools, hit the google.

One way to get hired with a shop is to dive with them a lot (you are a customer) and get to know all the staff, the dive sites, the operation itself. Then you make your offer, if they like you and you’re convincing, then you may get on for free diving......maybe free accommodations, in exchange for 6 days a week, 10-12 hour days. You are now a tank monkey. That is the life of a DM. Again, most of these spots go to locals as all the shop has to pay is a few pesos compared to giving a spot on the boat to a non paying customer or accommodations they could use for an instructor that brings in money (customers, courses and gear).

One huge point for me, certainly at the instructor level, is to have an “exit strategy”, meaning you have the funds and situation that won’t force you into compromising your values for the employer. I hope you understand what I’m trying to get across.

It can happen, but this is a “lifestyle” that is in much demand and many are willing to sacrifice far more than others to live it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom