I have a steel cylinder with flash rust from the last hydro. Has two gallons of evapo-rust in it.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would tend to suggest cleaning with simplegreen like o2 cleaning would be fine and preferred to just water rinse, but since you are sending these for hydro, why bother rinsing in advance at all?

It seems that you are blaming airgas because they destroyed a few of your tanks, but is it at all possible that you ingested some water during filling process at some point in the last 5 years? I have destroyed one 95 on my own fault by not vipping for 5 years of usage, and now every time I'm diving with ugly mixed sidemount tanks, I write "I will vip my tanks annually!" on the chalkboard again...

Nope, They we’re clean when they went in and rusty when they came back. I pulled the valve and checked. And they screwed-up more than just my tanks. And I am the only person who has filled those tanks during that time.

They didn’t destroy them but they sure made me extra work.

First one is clean now. I did rinse the crap out of it and then sloshed the insides with a mixed gallon of O2 compatible rust inhibitor.

it’s spotless inside.

Drying upside-down.

it’s a dry day here. Low humidity. Will let it set a couple of hours and plug it.

Unless a tank is baking hot in the sun, my theory is evaporation goes up, through the neck
and I've never had anything poop in the hole

I don't put a valve in them until the next day
when they are cool and been cloth covered

Great job, you've got me enthusiastic with this rust stuff

Gave it a good look inside. Looks spotless and new.
There's a very good chance it will come back from hydro with flash rust and you'll have to do it all over again. Save your money and time and clean them after hydro

The non scuba hydro place near me doesn't dry scuba tanks. They always have flash rust less than 24 hrs afterward and have to be tumbled to pass VIP. Cheaper to just take them to the dive shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom