I (heart) Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

novalyne

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Okay, ya'll, I have to share with scuba people or I'm going to bust! (My dive buddy won't be here until Thursday so I'm on my own right now). I got into Cozumel yesterday and did my first "real" scuba dives (ever) today. (Backstory...I came here last year and snorkeled and decided to get OW certified. I have only 10 "baby" dives so far, all in murky green Texas water).

I knew scuba would be cool, but I had no idea it would be THIS AWESOME! Seriously, this one day of diving made the whole investment worthwhile and my only regret is not doing it 10 years ago.

Scuba Mau did a first-class job! I even got my own divem aster and he was an underwater Adonis. We went to Santa Rosa wall and Paradise Reef. I saw a huge eel out swimming, a big ol' sea turtle, a small shark, a gigantic crab, 2 eagle rays, and a bazillion fish. WOW!

Best of all, everything went really smoothly. I thought buoyancy was going to be an issue, and while I'm far from great, I didn't go anywhere (up or down) that I didn't want to. In fact, by the 2nd dive, I thought I was finally starting to figure out how my breathing was affecting my buoyancy, and it was working to just exhale a little harder to go down and inhale a little deeper to go up. I also had dives lasting almost an hour each and even came up with over 1000 psi on the last dive, so my air consumption is not horrible. Yay!

Sorry to babble, I'm just so incredibly psyched right now that I had to share. Cozumel is gorgeous, the people are so friendly, and the scuba diving has instantly turned me into an addict. :D

Counting down the hours until Monday's dive...

Welcome to the clear, warm water club! Sounds like the critters came out to greet you -- two eagle rays on your first day?! Let us know how you feel after you dive Palancar & Colombia...

Okay, ya'll, I have to share with scuba people or I'm going to bust! (My dive buddy won't be here until Thursday so I'm on my own right now). I got into Cozumel yesterday and did my first "real" scuba dives (ever) today. (Backstory...I came here last year and snorkeled and decided to get OW certified. I have only 10 "baby" dives so far, all in murky green Texas water).

I knew scuba would be cool, but I had no idea it would be THIS AWESOME! Seriously, this one day of diving made the whole investment worthwhile and my only regret is not doing it 10 years ago.

Scuba Mau did a first-class job! I even got my own divem aster and he was an underwater Adonis. We went to Santa Rosa wall and Paradise Reef. I saw a huge eel out swimming, a big ol' sea turtle, a small shark, a gigantic crab, 2 eagle rays, and a bazillion fish. WOW!

Best of all, everything went really smoothly. I thought buoyancy was going to be an issue, and while I'm far from great, I didn't go anywhere (up or down) that I didn't want to. In fact, by the 2nd dive, I thought I was finally starting to figure out how my breathing was affecting my buoyancy, and it was working to just exhale a little harder to go down and inhale a little deeper to go up. I also had dives lasting almost an hour each and even came up with over 1000 psi on the last dive, so my air consumption is not horrible. Yay!

Sorry to babble, I'm just so incredibly psyched right now that I had to share. Cozumel is gorgeous, the people are so friendly, and the scuba diving has instantly turned me into an addict. :D

Counting down the hours until Monday's dive...

How refreshing to read a review such as yours! Congrats and Best Wishes for you and your future diving experiences. Here's to wishing your 1000th dive is as exciting as your first. Sounds like your have had a great start. Oh, BTW, Welcome to Cozumel :yelclap: Sue

Who was your Divemaster? Just curious as we will be diving with Scuba Mau in Sept.

Welcome to the addiction!!

What a fantastic post. Great to see it all through the eyes of someone new to the sport!

Ha! Ha!
Welcome to the addiction! Seriously, y'all, it's all good. This "addiction" is going to cost you plenty now! Ha! Welcome to Cozumel. It's all good. By the way, you should title your thread --Amo Cozumel-- But that's just my two thoughts.

Welcome to Cozumel! Welcome to diving! Welcome to Scubaboard! I hope you have a wonderful diving vacation! ! ! ! I hope to get back to Coz some time soon.

Ain't it the truth??? We should all learn to NEVER take God's wonders for granted! I'm over a hundred dives now and still thankful for every single one...

Terrific post! I think you'll be even more amazed as your trip continues. Have a wonderful time!

Who was your Divemaster? Just curious as we will be diving with Scuba Mau in Sept.

Welcome to the addiction!!

3 more great dives today (Palancar, Cedral, and Chankanaab)! On Saturday, my divemaster was Gabi Loco. He was very active, looking into lots of nooks and crannies and finding all sorts of critters to point out. Today my DM was Pumba...very funny guy and also an excellent divemaster. Tomorrow the DM will be Monkey...I'm trying them all out!:D

I don't think you'll go wrong with whomever you end up with...all of the guys (and Opal!) are just super nice and very good about going with the flow of the group. I know that there are lots of good dive ops in Cozumel but I feel like I really lucked into a dive shop that suits me. I hope your experience is the same!

More dives tomorrow. Who knows what new surprises await me down below...!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom