I keep second guessing myself...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amberm145

New
Reaction score
DH and I are "Scuba Divers" (we have Padi cards, but we're limited to 39 feet and can't go alone). We're going to be in Thailand with about 11-12 days at the end of Nov, early Dec, after our time in Bangkok until our flights home from Phuket.

DH gets bored after too much diving (probably due to our depth limits, but he has no interest in further certification) so I've promised him no more than 2 days of diving. We also enjoy kayaking, snorkeling, and don't mind a couple of days hanging out on the beach. He's also a serious mountain biker, so if we found somewhere he could get a bike and explore some trails, he'd be ecstatic.

We don't care for splashy resorts. We like huts on the beach. But huts, not cinder block cells.

Based on guide books and tourist blogs, I have tentative plans to go from Bangkok to Koh Lipe, diving with Forra, snorkeling off the beach, napping in hammocks. Then to Koh Muk where I'm getting mixed messages whether they even HAVE diving. But they do have the Emerald cave? Which we could kayak to?

And then a couple of nights in Phuket for last minute souvenirs and pool/beach time.

Should we do Koh Lanta or Phi Phi instead? Should we look into an island north of Phuket? Because we're not highly experienced, Hin Muang and Him Daeng aren't realistic for us.

It looks like most places require a boat for snorkeling? Any time we've done a snorkeling tour, we've been highly disappointed. $$$$ to take a boat with hordes of tourists to see dead coral from the aforementioned tourists standing on them.

Koh Tao was high on our list, but due to the time of year, we're going to the Andaman side.

You might want to consider flying into Phuket and heading north to Khao Lak. From there you can do stuff in the national parks, river and sea kayaking and a speed boat trip out to the similans for diving / snorkelling, or just do the shallow dive at the boon song (spelling?) wreck (an old tin dredger). Lots of accommodation options in Khao Lak and some nice beach.

Lanta is nice and relaxed. And you can do a trip to Emerald Cave from there too. Snorkelling is by boat too, the same boats as for diving, as the water close to shore is not always clear. A trip to Koh Ha is definitely worth it. You can also dive the Phi Phi sites from Lanta.

And if you are looking for a nice chilled hut-style place to stay, check out Lanta Marina in Phra Ae (Long Beach) area...

Koh Haa is a nice little site and we enjoyed Koh Lanta as a family. There are some beaches that are fairly developed and others that are much more low key - something for everyone!

Back
Top Bottom