I like guns.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it converts energy into mechanical force, it is an engine. Physics 101.
Ever hear of so called "siege engines" of the Middle Ages. Maybe not suppose.

---------- Post added April 3rd, 2014 at 11:07 PM ----------

Well, maybe it was ME 101, lol. But it still stands, an engine is a "machine" which converts energy into mechanical force. In the pure engineering definition a crossbow is an engine as is a catapult, etc.

Engine - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Interesting that Merriams says that a synonym for motor is engine and for engine is motor which is how I'd look at it.

Merriams also says a clip is a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm. Also how I'd look at it.

Merriams may be wrong of course. As I too often am.

And yep, I know what a siege engine was/is. Reading a lot has always been one of my vices.

Once again, anybody out there that has finished an 80% AR receiver?

I bought my son 3750 rounds of CCI "AR Tactical" for his M&P 15-22 for a birthday present (I think they're probably just re-labeled Mini Mags, but that thing is kind of picky and they run really well through it). Found it on Gunbroker.com and the guy I bought it from said he was going to nominate me for father of the year. My wife just rolled her eyes when he unwrapped the very heavy package.

I've been working my way through a case of that stuff. It's waxed to make it feed better. I bought it way back before the latest hysterical stupidity made 22lr hard to find. I got it to run in an AR but I've actually been shooting it in a 1911. It's good ammo.

---------- Post added April 3rd, 2014 at 10:18 PM ----------

Up until 1900 pretty much anything that held ammunition was a magazine. The Mauser pistol and Mannelicher brought about clips as different from magazines, although the words are remarkably similar in meaning.

A clip can be inside a magazine but a magazine cannot be inside a clip...

Reactions: BRT
Interesting that Merriams says that a synonym for motor is engine and for engine is motor which is how I'd look at it.

?
I guess I shot myself in the foot when I opened that door.

Speaking of Germans ...

I saw in the new Rock Island auction catalog they sent me that one of these is coming up for sale

Sturmgewehr_44.jpg

The gun that started it all.. :acclaim:

How much do you think that will go for?

"A clip can be inside a magazine but a magazine cannot be inside a clip..."

Yes. That is right isn't it?

One day I will get a supressor. But that is another rabbit hole to dump money down, I know for a fact I could not stop at just one! :gun:

Speaking of Germans ...

I saw in the new Rock Island auction catalog they sent me that one of these is coming up for sale

Sturmgewehr_44.jpg

The gun that started it all.. :acclaim:

How much do you think that will go for?

Does it come with a pre-ban grandfathered FA license? If so I bet it goes for $200K.

---------- Post added April 4th, 2014 at 08:50 AM ----------

One day I will get a supressor. But that is another rabbit hole to dump money down, I know for a fact I could not stop at just one! :gun:

Be sure to set up a trust.

Tell me about it man. It's hard to stop at one, I wanted to get a couple more before I stopped, but got into diving instead...I need to find a cheap hobby...

---------- Post added April 4th, 2014 at 01:59 PM ----------

I trust is the way to go, so much easier than getting a CLEO sign off and photos and fingerprints for every NFA toy you want to aquire.

Does it come with a pre-ban grandfathered FA license? If so I bet it goes for $200K.

---------- Post added April 4th, 2014 at 08:50 AM ----------

I thought I had heard something was changing in Title 2 trusts. Does anyone know what is happening with these?

Gun Trust rule changes mark the end of an era

The change was proposed, and ATF was taking responses on their website until recently.

NFA dealers around here are acting like it is a done deal, locally no CLEO will sign off, so a trust was the only way to go.

I know one dealer who dumped their inventory of NFA items, suppressors in particular, and will surrender their license as soon as the last sold items have cleared because they are sure the change will take effect.

Back
Top Bottom