I love scuba diving and I love camping.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shipwreckscanada

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Summer is coming and I’m getting ready to escape outdoors.

I love scuba diving and I love camping.

Does anyone know of a good place to do both in one location?I’m looking at about one day’s drive from Montréal in any direction?

Tobermory...?

I'm hoping to get both camping and diving there this summer.

theres cypress lake in tobermory they have camping and the grotto there. theres the lake is too shallow and warm but the grotto rocks. its a bit of a walk and a climb to get down to the beach area but its very cool. some cliffs to jump from also.
its south of tobermory on #6
ivebswam there and 15 mins from tobermory. i plan to check out some diving there this summer when it warms up enough :)

---------- Post added February 9th, 2013 at 03:10 PM ----------

also kingston and brockville have camping and dive shops are 15 min drive

I grew up in Grey and Bruce counties. Took my OW there about 20 years ago. Dove in places all up the peninsula. So, you could make a week long camp-and-dive trip up and down. Was here just this past summer:

Wiarton, Ontario - Cedar Hill - Diving My Way

Something of an underwater theme-park/junk yard - but at least there is something to look at.

Some one made a video of that site too:

R1 - Scuba Shore Dive Cedar Hill Park Near Wiarton Ont ca - YouTube

The wrecks in Tobermory are nice; but the water is fairly cold all year.

MT

I live in Montreal and we often go camp in the st Lawrence parks, it's a set of 5 campgrounds from glengarry to ivy Lea. All nice campgrounds and you get to dive the old lock system and several wrecks. Plus, it's a close to brockville and there are tons of charters.
We are actually going to spend our vacations there this year...
I agree with tobermory, it's very nice. For something a little different you may want to try the straits of Mackinac in Michigan... 14 h drives but the wrecks are amazing, it's not crowed and the campground in cheboygan (state park) is great. And there are beaches everywhere to swim in between dives :)

+1 for Tobermory, went there few years back and it was great. Really nice diving, good dive shops, we went with Diver's Den, and the campground we stayed in was Land's End Campround and it was great.
There's also Les Escoumins, never went but it was strongly recommended to me. You can stay at Paradis Marin campground and dive directly from it.
I'm also a big fan of the St-Lawrence Parks, Ivy Lea is great because you can suit up at your campsite and go shore dive. There's also a dive shop in front of the campground that's pretty convenient, it's named Tekdiv, the guy is from Montreal I think.
And as said above, Brockville and Kingston areas have camgrounds and dive shops close by.

Seems like you and I have the same diving interests and also the same target regions. If you are interested you can join me on the following two expeditions.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/new-england/443053-passamaquoddy-bay-anyone.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ontario/436334-how-do-you-dive-place.html

If youcan combine diving and camping then a lot of interesting and remote diving locations just open up to you. And ... diving becomes a whole lot cheaper :} Let me know if you need more info.

And if you need more info about dives in Québec and Ontario.
Scubapedia
It's in french but I assume you speak it because the way you write Montréal.

Kingston and brockville offer some great diving, and campsites not too far away. St lawrence has lots of wrecks to check out and some good dive ops also.

Back
Top Bottom