i love this it is amazing, but pricy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends on what one intends to use it for. I find a trilobite and some EMT shears, a fraction of the cost, to be all I need with the main purpose being to be able to cut my self or someone out of an entanglement, harness etc. A knife is no where near as effective for this application. I also think knives with tanto blades are safer, less likely to injury your self. If I was a hunter things might be different but I'm not so I'd pass.

EEZYCUT® Professional Line Cutting Tools - Dive Gear Express

Dive Rite Tools and Jon Line - Dive Gear Express

i have multiple tools, but i saw that Humboldt squid picture and well enough said

Last edited:
Diving knife - Ultramarine

btw i dont have it but i would love one, but like i say pricey

Pricey is an understatement. Then again, I don't own a Rolex divewatch either.

and my car is a Fiat.

Now that we've established that I'm a cheap bugger, I bought one of these and a pair of SS gardening shears that I put in a pocket when I'm wreck diving. And with the rest of the money I would have spent on an Ultramarine I went to Egypt to go diving :)

R..

round about $600 from the couple of sites I clicked on.

R..

btw i dont have it but i would love one, but like i say pricey
From your profile looks like you're a relatively new diver. In case you don't know yet, dive knives tend to get lost. Most people who have been diving awhile have plucked at least one from the bottom along the way. Just sayin'

Most people who have been diving awhile have plucked at least one from the bottom along the way.

True. and I think I've lost about as many as I've found over the years. That's why I now have a $30 knife. I won't cry if/when it goes missing.

R..

realistically this is the knife im getting, XS Scuba Beta Titanium Tanto Tip Knife, but i love that one

Titanium knives are a biatch to sharpen. I'd take stainless over titanium any day. But as someone with twenty some years of experience as a butcher nothing beats a well cared for carbon steel blade. You can keep it from rusting with just a modicum of care and keeping it oiled.

Nothing until now that is. I am taking a couple prototypes of new knives to DEMA for some people to look at. These are new alloy that is like titanium in that it is completely resistant to rust and corrosion. Lighter than steel or stainless, non magnetic, and they sharpen as easily as a high carbon blade and hold an edge just as well. They also have a nice degree of elasticity so they are not brittle.

I was called in to consult on the design of these a couple months ago. Taking the opportunity at DEMA to get some additional feedback before we decide to go into production. Oh and one other thing is that due to the metal characteristics, when they are heat treated each takes on a different finish pattern so no two are alike. The user has a blade that is uniquely theirs.

They will not be cheap, but not six hundred bucks either.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom