I LOVE your 3- AAA LED light!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
It's amazingly compact and bright. I bought one out of desperation as a backup and am about to buy another to replace my other back up.

Ease of use: 9.5/10 (The dual intensity is not needed for me)
Brightness: 9/10 (Could be used as a primary for a night dive)
Visibility (off): 3/10 (It's not black, but it's close)
Workmanship: 10/10
Cost: $41.00 from www.Dayo.com

Thanks for the positive feedback. We have been getting a lot of favorable comments on this model and appreciate your thoughts. The 3 AAA batteries mean shorter burn time than 2 CR123 batteries but they are more convenient to find.

Reactions: Jax
Any chance of putting out a "wide" version? Also what material lense do you use? i have a CR123 wide and the lense feels like plastic? Thanks in advance.

I really like the compact torch too, but wish it had a wider beam. Is there a way to combine the "wide beam" version with the convenience of the "compact version" AAA batteries?

I'm also a big fan of this light. It does everything it should and it looks and feels like a very well made piece of kit.

I've had mine for nearly a year now, using it for commercial diving, mounting it on my KM 37 helmet. I love it and its been working really well(like the previous posters I wish it had a wider beam) but lately when I turn it on it will not stay on, it just flashes on and then off. This happens with fresh batteries. I've tried soaking the switch in contact cleaner, but this doesn't seem to fix it. Help?

It's amazingly compact and bright. I bought one out of desperation as a backup and am about to buy another to replace my other back up.

Ease of use: 9.5/10 (The dual intensity is not needed for me)
Brightness: 9/10 (Could be used as a primary for a night dive)
Visibility (off): 3/10 (It's not black, but it's close)
Workmanship: 10/10
Cost: $41.00 from www.Dayo.com

I hadn't noticed this thread before. Here's my solution to the visibility problem I also perceived as non-optimum. I wrapped most of the barrel of the light in yellow heatshrink tube. The photo below shows the Compact Torch (3x AAA) discussed in this thread on the left, and the Intova Ultra Nova (6x AA) on the right.

It turned out that both used 1.5" diameter (pre-shrink size) tube, the Compact was just too big for 1", and the Ultra just fit in the 1.5".

For those not familiar with heatshrink tube, it's a polyolefin plastic that's very tough, highly resistant to salt water, and with a working temperature range from below freezing to above boiling water. It's very suitable for scuba or boating gear. I use a heatgun, but a hair dryer will do the job of shrinking it. It will shrink up to 50% of its starting diameter.

I used this: McMaster-Carr part # 7856K215, 4 feet for $12.46: McMaster-Carr

While discussing mods, note the bolt snap attachment in the photo. My first Compact Torch was lost somewhere on a dive in Bonaire, leaving the boltsnap still clipped to my BC. I have no proof, but I distrust the edges of the holes on the butt of the lights, I think it was too sharp for the nylon cave line I had tied the boltsnap on with. I decided I wouldn't lose another $50 light that way, so I've used stainless steel split rings to attach the boltsnaps on both lights.

With the exception of these minor issues I think I've addressed as described, I'm pretty happy so far with both of these lights. The Ultra is almost overkill for a recreational OW night primary; I used it mostly in 30% mode in my only dive with it so far, where it was about as good as the UK 4C eLed that it replaced (My wife has inherited that, so I saw them concurrently). But the full-power punch was real nice to have readily at hand a couple of times, and for $70, I think it's a good value. The Compact is nice for warm water day dives looking under ledges, and is a serious rather than token backup at night.

Attachments

• Intovas.jpg
    Intovas.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 215
I'm with everyone else - love your lights, especially the AAA . . . No problems when you travel, for example. :clapping:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom