• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

I need a tie breaker

Discussion in 'General Scuba Equipment Discussions' started by MargaritaMike, Jun 6, 2019.

Please help me decide by showing your preference.

Poll closed Jun 8, 2019.
  1. Custom Divers Canister

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. HDVSEATEC Canister

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. MargaritaMike

MargaritaMike Divemaster

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Tomorrow (June 6, 2019) at about 10 p.m. CDT (0300 UTC)) I am going to order a canister to put my PLB in. I can't decide between the Custom Divers canister or the Hdvseatek canister. I have to order tomorrow in order to get it by July 1. In my opinion they are about equal in function and quality. Please help me decide. Just vote for one or the other. If you wish post a BRIEF explanation of why you picked the one you picked. Thank you in advance.

Cheers - M²

2. Snoweman

Snoweman Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    What did you get?

3. MargaritaMike

MargaritaMike Divemaster

Nothing yet. Waiting for responses.

4. CuzzA

CuzzA Solo Diver

It's pretty simple. CD is smaller, more streamlined and won't allow for much more than an ACR. Other smaller PLB's will allow for a few extra items. HDV is bigger, not streamlined, but will allow for extra items.

I am a streamlined diver. So CD would be my choice. I don't need to pack the pantry. I figure 100 miles offshore the USCG would pick me up in about an hour or two after deployment. I pack a mylar hood to save my head from the sun, but otherwise, I think I can handle a couple hours at sea without the hotel mini fridge. :wink: YMMV.

5. Akimbo

Akimbo Lift to Freedom Volunteer Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

Not that simple a question. I would choose a Custom Divers canister over a Hdvseatek if they were the same price. I would design my own and have a machine shop make it if the price was not a concern.

6. Lorenzoid

Lorenzoid idling in neutral buoyancy Staff Member

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    If I had not gone all-out and gotten the aluminum McMurdo canister (apparently no longer being manufactured), my second choice would have been having Light Monkey custom-make me a canister, and my third choice would have been the Custom Divers canister. It's hard to tell simply from reading the specs and looking at the photos, but something about the HDVSEATEK design doesn't sit well with me.

7. CuzzA

CuzzA Solo Diver

I have the light monkey canister too. It's huge for an open water guy. If you typically dive in caves with a can light then it will feel normal to you. But, owning both. I can tell you I've chose the CD canister every time.

8. MargaritaMike

MargaritaMike Divemaster

Is there a source in the U.S. for the CD?
    Thanks,
    Michael

9. macado

macado PADI Pro

I know these aren't on your list but me and @Tug went with a custom Light Monkey canister. I don't know if it would fit your July 1st deadline but it's probably possible.

My justification I wanted a canister that could also fit a mirror, dye packs and some other small safety items. The downside is it's pricier ($250)..

10. KnightDvr

KnightDvr Angel Fish

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I have the CD canister. Easy to use with the holster. I keep my Garmin inReach Mini inside and it works great.