I now stink like a prehistoric sink hole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquacat8

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
But I’m happy! I escaped the evil red tide plaguing Venice, FL by going swimming and very shallow/short/cautious/low-viz freediving in Warm Mineral Springs, Northport. What an amazing weird and wonderful place! Really Old Florida! (And by old I mean Pleistocene).

From the super cool 1950’s motel by the entrance to the casual friendly welcome (long freediving fins were no problem), and strangely European ambiance (I think German was the dominant language) with its peculiar mix of gardened beauty and stench, real science and archaeology mixed with mid century kitsch and vintage health spa quackery, it was totally worth the $20 to get in. 87 degrees, very murky (reputedly sometimes clear), and totally cool. I mean warm. Sooo warm ahhhhh.
Warm Mineral Springs - Video Department

Also, since it is thought to be the Fountain of Youth sought by Ponce De Leon, I may have gotten a little bit younger, and I suspect that a few of the relics patiently soaking there like cartoon alligators in their colorful sun hats and glasses may be at least 200 years old.

@aquacat8

You were diving into history and didn't know it... You since you are a transplant from NorCal - and certainly unaware of the significant diving history that was made there

May I suggest that you view the following Archive Videos

1959 Archive Video
~~Note all the 1950s equipment ad the diving techniques
And Col Bill Royal diving into the caves

1959 Archive Video #3
~~ Same as above
Note the diver struggling with the Sampson UW camera --weighed 90 pounds !

And certainly watch the video
~~~Eugenie Clarke
The shark lady

SDM

Last edited:
They've only recently opened the warm mineral springs to the public. I live like 15 minutes from it and have never been there.

@aquacat8
@ReefGuy

A bit of education for the masses who post with great authority but have minimal or even less knowledge of the subject about which they are posting

Bill Royal

Was one of the first Cave divers in the Florida and the world --His dives and many discoveries were at "prehistoric sink hole" You should be honored to just put your toes in the same water as Col (USAF Ret) Bill Royal

His book title:

William H Royal
The man who rode Sharks
Forward by Eugenie Clarke
Dodd Mead & Co', NYC
1978--'ISBN# 396-07537-1
254 pages hard cover with dust jacket
(autographed)

Dr Eugenie Clarkes books:

Lady with a Spear
Harper & Brothers co, NYC
1951, LCCC # 53-5362
243 pages Hard cover with dust Jacket
One of the earliest books published on diving by an American
Inscribed- To Dr Samuel Miller, After all these years ! Best wishes Eugenie Clarke 1984 ( I known Dr Clarke for a number of years previous)

The lady and the sharks
Harper & Rowe, NYC
1969,LCCC #74-83588
first edition'269 pages Hard cover with dust jacket
Dr.Clarke was and is considered the worlds expert on sharks
inscribed Dr. Samuel Miller, Best wished and greetings again,, Eugenie Clarke, October 2004

Now you have a wee bit of education on the prehistoric sink hole and the pioneers who explored it and their publications

I suspect that this post has all been a waste of my time

Sam Miller, 111

@aquacat8
@ReefGuy

A bit of education for the masses who post with great authority but have minimal or even less knowledge of the subject about which they are posting

Bill Royal

Was one of the first Cave divers in the Florida and the world --His dives and many discoveries were at "prehistoric sink hole" You should be honored to just put your toes in the same water as Col (USAF Ret) Bill Royal

His book title:

William H Royal
The man who rode Sharks
Forward by Eugenie Clarke
Dodd Mead & Co', NYC
1978--'ISBN# 396-07537-1
254 pages hard cover with dust jacket
(autographed)

Dr Eugenie Clarkes books:

Lady with a Spear
Harper & Brothers co, NYC
1951, LCCC # 53-5362
243 pages Hard cover with dust Jacket
One of the earliest books published on diving by an American
Inscribed- To Dr Samuel Miller, After all these years ! Best wishes Eugenie Clarke 1984 ( I known Dr Clarke for a number of years previous)

The lady and the sharks
Harper & Rowe, NYC
1969,LCCC #74-83588
first edition'269 pages Hard cover with dust jacket
Dr.Clarke was and is considered the worlds expert on sharks
inscribed Dr. Samuel Miller, Best wished and greetings again,, Eugenie Clarke, October 2004

Now you have a wee bit of education on the prehistoric sink hole and the pioneers who explored it and their publications

Sam Miller, 111
Thanks Sam, I always appreciate your posts, it’s not a waste of time. It is very nice to have someone on here who knows the history!

They've only recently opened the warm mineral springs to the public. I live like 15 minutes from it and have never been there.
Well if you want to go there, I would be happy to meet you there! You cannot scuba and it is very low visibility, but it makes for an interesting visit and soak, and although there is very little visibility there is no red tide.

@aquacat8
@ReefGuy

<snip>

Sam Miller, 111

?? WTF do you mean by this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom