I quit smoking and have questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At this point your issue is no longer quitting it, it's not taking it up again.

I really do not want to start again.
Sometimes my mind tries to make me think it wants a cig, but almost immediately I smell someone smoking and it smells disgusting.
I read somewhere that it’s addict thinking, and my brain just wants what pleasure it thinks it remembers.
The problem is that smoking wasn’t giving pleasure. The nicotine was giving relief from the craving was giving the illusion of pleasure.

I quit because I convinced myself that I hated the things. I really do not want to start again. If I do I will smoke myself into a grave. I really wish I had quit decades ago.
It helps that today smoking isn’t looked upon as cool or as socially acceptable like it used to be.

It's not entirely true: the raised dopamine levels and associated "pleasure", to use your word, are real. It's craving dopamine, not "cravings".

That aside, wait till you smoke a cig and go on a guilt trip about it -- in a dream. :wink:

gave up smoking years ago but i loved an auld fag after a dive, but it was a killer keeping them dry.

Dmaziuk, you’re killing me.
I feel guilty enough thinking I want one now and then.
Thankfully there is beer and bourbon.

Ok, 4 months quit. I think I am safely over them. I don’t miss them.
I have gained about 10-12 pounds.
It just isn’t right that when I looked up why quitters gain weight and found that smoking burns about 250 calories per day. It alnost sounds like an aerobic exercise.

I wish I had quit earlier in life, but I feel much better about myself.

If anyone is thinking about quitting- do it. If you have questions or trouble contact me. I will be happy to help you.

Thanks for all of the help here.

Huh, I always thought the weight gain was from food becoming more appetizing once the sense of smell recovered. I guess nicotine is a stimulant though. Anyway, congrats on 4 months!

It just isn’t right that when I looked up why quitters gain weight and found that smoking burns about 250 calories per day. It alnost sounds like an aerobic exercise.

The story I heard is your liver has to work double-time to get rid of the toxins. So when you quit it slows down and with it: your metabolism. You have to adjust your eating habits and walk around hungry all the time to compensate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom