I saw a barracuda vortex in Sipadan. How lucky am I?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DragonFruitLady

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I saw a school of hundreds of barracuda forming a tornado at Barracuda Point in May. It was awesome!

I'm wondering how lucky I was to see this.The divemaster said there were "usually no barracudas" at Barracuda Point, which seems odd to me as I understand Sipadan is known as one of the best places to see barracuda schools. On the other hand, I wouldn't expect the barracudas to do a tornado for every dive group at the site :)

What are the chances of seeing a barracuda tornado at Sipadan?

I saw a school of hundreds of barracuda forming a tornado at Barracuda Point in May. It was awesome!
I'm wondering how lucky I was to see this.The divemaster said there were "usually no barracudas" at Barracuda Point, which seems odd to me as I understand Sipadan is known as one of the best places to see barracuda schools. On the other hand, I wouldn't expect the barracudas to do a tornado for every dive group at the site :)
What are the chances of seeing a barracuda tornado at Sipadan?

Obviously, the odds on seeing the vortex depends on when and how many times you dive the site. Assuming you only went diving there once or twice, you were very lucky to see it. Out of approximately 30 dives there, I think I have seen the vortex 3 times. Usually, you will just see them in the "wall" formation and only when current conditions are good for it do they shift into the circle pattern.

As for the comments of the dive master, I don't understand them either (maybe just a temporary DM who hadn't been in the area long). Obviously, how often large numbers of barracuda are at the site depends on the way the currents are running; but in my experience, they are there most of the time. I can remember only one or two dives when there were few of them present. If currents are unusual, they shift to other locations along the reef.

Thanks for the detailed response! I suspected I was lucky to see the vortex and it is good to know that is the case.

I must have misheard the DM' s comment.

Obviously, the odds on seeing the vortex depends on when and how many times you dive the site. Assuming you only went diving there once or twice, you were very lucky to see it. Out of approximately 30 dives there, I think I have seen the vortex 3 times. Usually, you will just see them in the "wall" formation and only when current conditions are good for it do they shift into the circle pattern.

As for the comments of the dive master, I don't understand them either (maybe just a temporary DM who hadn't been in the area long). Obviously, how often large numbers of barracuda are at the site depends on the way the currents are running; but in my experience, they are there most of the time. I can remember only one or two dives when there were few of them present. If currents are unusual, they shift to other locations along the reef.

From my perspective, you were very lucky! I was there years ago and didn't even see a barracuda let alone the vortex. It was disappointing to say the least.

I was more fortunate in the Cook Islands of all places! Fabulous toronado and I almost made it into the middle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom