I saw some kind of shark today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw a blue shark in Victoria a few years ago...and I know Blues have been as far as Tofino for a little surfing snack...and they are quick

I id'd it from the nose though - very distinctive snout...perhaps see if this resembled what you saw?

opiniongirl:
I saw a blue shark in Victoria a few years ago...and I know Blues have been as far as Tofino for a little surfing snack...and they are quick

I id'd it from the nose though - very distinctive snout...perhaps see if this resembled what you saw?

I had heard about blue sightings. You forgot to post a link though.
I have to say, I saw more of the tail end than the snout end. I know of a few shark sightings this year so I'm glad to have seen one.

Where did you see your shark? We were at Willis Point at about 80-90 ft. Vis was 100+ft

Hyper-limits:
Well I was Dave's Buddy on this dive and I was the one who startled the damn thing.
Never saw it. I'm piss off!

Good job, if you hadn't scared him away, he might've gotten a better look and then we'd know for sure what it is. hehe Hey it happens.. just goes to show that sharks are more scared of us than we should be of them.

sb_diver:
Good job, if you hadn't scared him away, he might've gotten a better look and then we'd know for sure what it is. hehe Hey it happens.. just goes to show that sharks are more scared of us than we should be of them.

Trust me, after almost 600 dives in and around Vancouver Island. I must have scared a lot of sharks because I never see any. I don't think Great whites would be scare, but those sixgill are. :wink:

wedivebc:
I had heard about blue sightings. You forgot to post a link though.
I have to say, I saw more of the tail end than the snout end. I know of a few shark sightings this year so I'm glad to have seen one.

Where did you see your shark? We were at Willis Point at about 80-90 ft. Vis was 100+ft

Yup, willis! and about the same depth...

sorry, didn't have a link - was just referring to your id source to take a look there..

wedivebc:
We don't get too many sharks here in the Pacific Northwest so when you see one it's an event. I have seen dogfish plenty of times and the odd 6 gilll but this was not either.
It was about 6 feet long, the tail was more vertical than sickle shaped. It had a grey colour with lighter bottom. It had a definate triangular dorsal fin placed high on its back.
Unfortunately as we came over the wall my buddy startled it and all he saw was the cloud of silt it left as it bolted.
Anyone out there have an idea what type it might be?

We dove at Willis last night. We were at 100-foot mark and we didn't see anything "big".
It could be Salomon Shark with Salmons running up to Goldstream. I don't think it was Blue. They like open water and Saanich Inlet is to "close" for them.
Good like in your search.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom