I sure would like to become an instructor???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It can be an advantage,,, as long as your husband never gets transferred to a different location,, then your certification gets "in-activated",, thousands of dollars in training fees and equipment lost,,,
How are your training fees and equipment lost? :confused:
It sounds like you didn't pay your renewal fees which are required to retain an Inactive Status.

carrielsal:
I'm not sure what this would have to do with SSI affiliation.

SSI does not allow independent instructors. Ray said, "one of the reasons that SSI requires instructors to be associated with a dive shop is to keep the quality of the instructors up." I'm calling BS on that. A student is more likely to get a quality class from an independent than through a shop.

I'm calling BS on that. A student is more likely to get a quality class from an independent than through a shop.

Walter, I generally find that I am in agreement with many of your comments on SB, but I disagree with the generalization that you are making here.

A student will ultimately need to find a shop they trust for gear, service and fills and potentially to connect to a dive community as well as continuing education. If someone has this in an SSI shop, why not stick with what they know and trust? Having an "independant" instructor does not necessarily ensure higher quality instruction nor, in my opinion, will it increase the likelyhood of a quality class. Many "independant" instructors are, for all intents and purposes, simply store staff somewhere as well. Even independant instructors will have a few places they prefer to refer people to. Also, Independance can also be a path to limited oversight of activity and poor quality instruction... it isn't as simple as an independant instructor will be more likely to be better - which is how I read your statement.

A quality shop that wants to be a successsful business in today's environment needs to deliver excellence. That isn't just a push students through a class process. It is delivering excellence in terms of instruction, pre and post sales support, and a suppportive environment for students and all levels of divers.

SSI's approach does have a built in system that at least provides a mechanism for the monitoring of instruction quality. I don't believe that it ensures quality, but I certainly don't think it hurts at all. I believe we can all agree that there are surely some poor quality instructors in every agency... I think SSI is trying to find a way to limit the number they have... it certainly won't be perfect, but I respect their attempt to adddress it.

As for being tied to a store, yes, it obviously can have its disadvantages, but I think we need to be honest that a cross-over to another agency isn't impossible by any stretch if someone is ultimately disattisfied with the arrangements. And that will occur without the costs of previous instruction being totally wasted.

To the original poster: I think the key is to find an instructor that you really respect - someone who does it the way you believe is truly an excellent example of how SCUBA instruction should be done and learn from them. I also agree with the comments above - you want to dive more so you get a better idea of what great looks like. However, do progress through the learning, and do continue to progress in your dive education. Look around for someone you believe is doing it the way you want to do it and work through their agency... Much like looking for an original instructor - the instructor is, in my view, more important than the agency - but don't discount working with an SSI instructor you like simply because of the association they require with a store.

Can someone point me in the right direction on how to become a diving instructor?

Go diving loads. And I mean loads. If you're not diving every week, you're not diving enough.

If you're profile is up to date, with not many dives and only certified for one year... to be blunt, you're in no real position to start thinking about being an instructor. You need to be in a position where you will drag your backside out of bad, rain or shine, and head down to the local dive site and make sure that you have some great dives even when the conditions are rubbish.

For a relatively new diver, it seems like a romantic, idealised lifestyle. The reality is that it's hard work, poorly paid and quite often a route to losing your passion for diving. The more you dive now, the more you'll find out what it is about diving that flicks your switch. Then, if you decide to become an instructor in a year or so's time, you'll know what you need to protect so that you stay fresh with your teaching because you are still diving for fun on your own time.

JMcD:
Walter, I generally find that I am in agreement with many of your comments on SB, but I disagree with the generalization that you are making here.

I would also disagree with it if it were a blanket statement. It is not. There are a couple of things that stop it from being a blanket statement. First, I said, "more likely," I did not say, "always." It not a blanket statement. Second, this post was made to answer carrielsal's questioning of an earlier post in which I said, "While there are exceptions..." This is not a blanket statement.

Yes, there are shoddy independent instructors. Yes, there are shops who keep training quality high. I have never said nor have I implied otherwise. What I have said is that often pressure to cut corners comes from shops. Requiring instructors to be tied to a shop does nothing to ensure high quality training.

Pressure to cut corners? That can happen on both sides of the coin. Both groups could do it to cut cost in some way shape or form. Not something that is limited to ssi. Walter, your post sounds like a philosophical pissing match between agencies. I may be wrong but thats how I read your last post.

Swampdonkey:
Pressure to cut corners? That can happen on both sides of the coin. Both groups could do it to cut cost in some way shape or form.

Can and does. No arguments on that point. I've seen it more often in one direction, but I've seen it go both directions. In either case, you've helped make my point. Requiring instructors to be affiliated with a shop may or may not be desirable depending on your point of view, but it does not "keep the quality of the instructors up."

Swampdonkey:
Not something that is limited to ssi.

Of course not. I've never said it was.

Swampdonkey:
Walter, your post sounds like a philosophical pissing match between agencies. I may be wrong but thats how I read your last post.

Not at all. Every agency has instructors in shops. There will very likely always be instructors affiliated with shops. Those that are affilated will sometimes be pressured to cut corners. Shop affiliation is not a magic bullet that keeps quality up.

Why??? are you shure??? ......... Do you want to be awake really early in the morning and make sure to have enoug air to your students? Or in the OW trip atend personal issues to your students like they are afraid to dive but they love to try and they put all confidence on your shoulders???, can you hold your horses if they scrwed UP at 60 ft, and be really kind to tell them not to DO that they did down there and they repeat the same mistake??? what if you do all your effort on a course and your students decide to sue you because they only want the money back because at the end they decide to go snowboarding cause dive is not for them??...

Do you want to sit at the computer 30 min and answer cuestions like this????

Ok visit our shop and see if you like to became instructor whit us¡

Good luck

I had the same post certification glow and enthusiasm as you have now. I was certified in March 07 and have about 300 dives, some may say that is alot, those on the pro path would say no. I have experienced several types of dive conditions, mostly cold, low viz.

My enthusiasm for diving has not waned, however, my enthusiasm for instructor-hood has. I am active in my local dive club and regularly volunteer to take new divers out. Maybe I am just a nervous nelly, but no way I want that level of responsibility/liability on me in my hobby/play time, I have seen some crazy stuff and would rather just dive for fun than fill out the paperwork.

Donna

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom