I take back every mean thing I’ve ever said about my LDS.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Holy crap that's some impressive craftsmanship.

How is the window made? Acrylic pressed in a mold? Cast glass?

Agreed, the attention to detail was amazing. I believe it was heat-formed 1/4" acrylic but don't know if it was pressure or vacuum formed. Polycarbonate/Lexan has a slight blue hue and is harder to heat form in that thickness. Unfortunately Joe Savoie is no longer with us to ask.

Joe Savoie of Boutte, Louisiana USA deserves the credits for the first design of a practical lightweight helmet with a rubber neck dam seal. Joe left school in the sixth grade and became a "self made engineer". He developed several innovative ideas in the field of aviation, motorized transportation and professional diving. The helmet that he designed caused a revolution in the world of commercial diving equipment in the 1960-ies. It was the first one with a rubber neck dam seal. The Savoie helmets were all hand made using components made on machines that Joe designed himself also. He had his factory and office at his home in Boutte.

Joe passed away on 10 March 1996, just after he celebrated his 70th birthday.​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom