I take underwater artifacts...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OceanMist333

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm sorry, but if I find something worth keeping out of the water, I'm going to do it. Rule of thumb is that if it will look good on display somewhere in my house its mine. Recently, I found a large pirate anchor in Rhode Island thats long been abandoned. The anchor is about the size of a toyota camry, which impedes my ability to lift it... but if I could don't think I wouldn't take it.

Fact in the matter is that I've heard some people over the years, poo-poo the idea of taking artifacts. I disagree within reason; unless it's human remains its fair game and steps must be taken to preserve it. If you're simply going to take a piece of iron out of the water that's been sitting there for hundreds of years and throw it on a shelf only to find a pile of dust there in a month, well than you're a moron and should rethink life.

That being said I've removed all kinds of artifacts from the water and have quite the collection.. cannonballs, **** memoribillia off of the U-boat off Block Island, bottles, pirate chain, etc.

I'm sorry, but if I find something worth keeping out of the water, I'm going to do it. Rule of thumb is that if it will look good on display somewhere in my house its mine. Recently, I found a large pirate anchor in Rhode Island thats long been abandoned. The anchor is about the size of a toyota camry, which impedes my ability to lift it... but if I could don't think I wouldn't take it.

Fact in the matter is that I've heard some people over the years, poo-poo the idea of taking artifacts. I disagree within reason; unless it's human remains its fair game and steps must be taken to preserve it. If you're simply going to take a piece of iron out of the water that's been sitting there for hundreds of years and throw it on a shelf only to find a pile of dust there in a month, well than you're a moron and should rethink life.

That being said I've removed all kinds of artifacts from the water and have quite the collection.. cannonballs, **** memoribillia off of the U-boat off Block Island, bottles, pirate chain, etc.

What makes you say that it is a "Pirate" anchor? Just curious. I am from RI as well.
Just a piece of advice for what it's worth, if you are going to collect, I would not advertize it especially on a public forum like this. I don't know if you are aware of the fact that there is a very active Underwater Archaeology movement in RI that
would and has used this this type of thing to make us all look like thieves. Unfortunately, like it or not, the law is written in such a way that anything within 3 miles of the RI coast is property of the State and and cannot be touched. It may be moronic but that is the way it is.

Gee whiz...now the rest of us for generations and generations can't see and enjoy all the things you've taken and put in your house...unless of course you have an "open door policy".:D

Do you have pictures? Cannon balls are kind of boring, anything interesting?

So basically you're proud of the fact that you violate war graves?

Maybe if you were affiliated with a maritime museum I could understand but what's the difference between it sitting on your shelf and it sitting on someone else's shelf collecting dust, you run a feather duster over it once a month?

You are a criminal and on top of that you're selfish. Why not catalogue & photograph your finds then leave then for others to enjoy. How many Ship's Bells have you personally stolen from wrecks?

If you really want to bring stuff up from the deep then participate in Clean-up Volunteer Dives, they usually have a "finders keepers" policy but you'll never do this kind of work on a WWII U-Boat.

I'm sorry, but if I find something worth keeping out of the water, I'm going to do it. Rule of thumb is that if it will look good on display somewhere in my house its mine.

Hey, I know of some folks who view life much the same way. What's your address? I'll let 'em know and they might drop by to check for "artifacts." :eyebrow:

Oh, by the way, do you go to Bonaire much?

Not cool, but since he is not replying or showing any pics it probably didn't happen.
Sounds like a pretty brazen post to just cause excitement and anger.

If it is true, what Sean222 said is true and I am sure they monitor these boards for this type of activity.

Each member has an Ignore List, feel free to use yours.

Back
Top Bottom