I tasted the Kool Aide and it didnt agree with me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderSeaBumbleBee:
What does a 1' tolerance and deco debate have to do with the OP and his post????Nothing!

Its only relevant in that the OP had basic bouyancy issues in class and thereby was unable to complete it. What is basic bouyancy? To take DIRF and actually get through the class (not quit) I'd say an ability to hover near the bottom will allow you to try most of the skills/drills, get videoed, and learn what you need to work on.

To actually pass, the standards are clearly spelled out on GUE's website.

Well as far at the OP’s buoyancy goes, I haven’t seen much in the way of helping this chap out. I have seen much debate on the standards –what they are-what they should be—are they realistic. Not sure any of that helps the OP be a better diver or have better buoyancy.

Let me give it my best noobie shot.

When taking any demanding class you should always have some level of familiarity with your gear whether it be diving or any other endeavor. If the first time you use this gear is in an already challenging environment you will greatly increase your stress and chance of failure. Stress as we are often told makes us more nervous and nervous people tend to hold more air in their lungs.

Secondly have a buddy help you in the water to get properly trimmed out and weighted. Too much or too little weight will cause you buoyancy problems. We know that in the 1st 33 feet of water that air expands the most or has the most relative change. So since a good part of your class will be in a shallow pool correct weighting essential. If this is your first time in this gear and you have not worked out weighting issues you class will be a disaster.

A great way to practice buoyancy is to get your get set up correctly and go to a favorite diving spot and spend some time having fun. Try to stop along the dive and hover while looking at something that catches your eye. Take along a lemon or orange and hover next to it in the water. Set up hoola hoops with a piece of pool noodle on the top and a piece of rope on the bottom attached to a weight. Try to swim through the hoops slowly without touching the sides. Try to hover inside a hoop. Have a hovering contest with a buddy where you set a depth target and first one to break the standard buys the winner dinner. The important thing is to practice and then practice some more in the water during real world dives.

According to “The Fundamentals of Better Diving” by Jarrod Jablinski. This book is required reading for the course as I understand it—so familiarize yourself with pages 33-35 and pay particular attention to the section on buoyancy. There has been a lot of debate about this 1’ standard—you are taking the fundies class not the tech class. It is ok if the instructor mentions it, but you will be held to the fundies standard to pass the class. If the instructor tries to hold to you tech standards and fails you for fundies—tell on him by filling out the quality control form and send a copy of the tape that shows you really did perform meet the standard to GUE. They fill you during this stuff so it should be easy to make your chase if you are getting a raw deal.

A New Diver
Be able to descend slowly to depth stopping within 10’ of the bottom
Float for 1 minute in a horizontal position while remaining within 5’ of starting depth
While diving stop several times and hover horizontally without moving and without adding or subtracting any air from the BCD

B Advanced Diver
Be able to descend slowly to depth, stopping with in 5’ of the bottom
Do not use ones hands for buoyancy control or propulsion (they should remain still at all times)
Float 2 minutes in a slightly head down position while remaining within 2’ of the starting depth
While floating horizontally pass the regulator to an out of air diver without changing depth more than 5’

C Advanced Diver—while wearing full equipment and stage bottles
Be able to descend slowly to depth, stopping with in 1’ of the bottom
Do not use ones hands for buoyancy control or propulsion (they should remain still at all times)
Float 2 minutes in a slightly head down position while remaining within 1’ of the starting depth
While floating horizontally pass the regulator to an out of air diver without changing depth more than 2’

So this is here I would take the thread. The OP did not prepare and mentioned specific problems he had. I would try to give him relevant information to help him over come those problems. If his desire to is to learn he will appreciate it. If it is argue then that will become clear as well.

I am sure it could be said better by someone with more dives under their belt than me. I am a noobie who is DIR curious and trying both to learn and implement what I am learning. I am having a great time doing that by the way.

I went and looked up the standards since rjack said mentioned they were listed.
http://www.gue.com/Training/Standards/GUE_Standards_2006_ver4.pdf
From page 16
Section 2.1.2.9

#12 Demonstrate good buoyancy and trim within 5 feet of a target depth. Frequency of buoyancy variation as well as general diver control remain important evaluation criteria

#19 Demonstrate good buoyancy and trim i.e. approximate reference maximum of 20 degrees off horizontal while remaining within 3 feet of a target depth. Frequency of buoyancy variation as well as general diver control remain important evaluation criteria

So as I said earlier to Thas the debate on 1' variation and deco have nothing to do with this thread.

Well, this thread ended quite abruptly. Good job to all those who held their tongues . . . er . . . typing fingers.

Mike

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom