I think my p-valve is leaking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Armymutt25A

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a Dive Rite p-valve installed on my Pinnacle Black Ice. I dove this past weekend and when I took it off, I found evidence of a leak. I originally thought it was leaking from the outside, due to the pattern of the wetness, but upon closer inspection, it's definitely coming from the inside. Any recommendations on how to determine the point of leakage?

Plastic squirt bottle of water hooked to the hose and hold your hand over the outside of the valve while squeezing the bottle.

Dive Rite pee valves don't normally have leakage problems so you might grab the inside and outside parts and make sure that they are screwed together tight. I have had them leak this way.

Sniff?

Remember that the valve is a hunk of hard plastic and it will be a condensation magnet so be careful not to over react.

The vulnerable point on that valve is the balancing check valve. Its a delicate little thing. Any foreign matter, improper setting of the retaining screw can let weep. I know I need to flush mine gently or it will leak, I suppose a robust voiding may overwhelm it too. You can go anytime so there's no need to let the urgency build.

Likewise if you got sand in the main valve.

Pete

I traced one issue to the end of the inlet hose. A little teflon tape sealed it up. We'll see if that fixes it tomorrow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom