I Tried to Help a Fish Today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trace Malinowski

Training Agency President
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I tried to help a fish today. I came upon a rock bass with a hook in its mouth while returning to the Islander wreck in the St. Lawrence River in Alexandria Bay, NY. Rather than being stuck in the corner of the fish's mouth, the hook ran through each side like a barbell piercing and trailed about 6 inches of line. I had been under for 30 minutes at a 70 foot max depth after entering with 1400 psi of Trimix 21/15. I spent another 20 minutes trying to catch it in 40 feet of water. I was sucking fumes on the way up. I called a GUE instructor friend since his new shop is just a stone's throw away to suit up and see if he could help. GUE doesn't allow solo diving, but I was hoping that might be an exception. He told me to go free it since he was on the phone. That was my plan. I called Dana Hunt to see if his shop was open. It was. I zipped over the 6 miles from Alex Bay to Clayton wearing my wetsuit while I drove my truck. I told John at Hunt's that I needed a fill and it didn't need to be good -- just fast. I left and grabbed some fishing stuff from the 1000 Islands Bait Store and quickly stopped by my place in A-Bay to get needle-nosed pliers and other stuff. I entered the water hoping it was territorial and would still be hovering at the same spot on the wreck. No such luck. I searched for 30 minutes around the wreck. Then, I saw something I've never seen before. A cormorant swam across the deck near me 40 feet deep and disappeared through a small hatch-like opening into the darkness of the wreck. I watched for it to come out and it didn't. I stuck my arm with a dive light into the hole and my then head to have a look. I was upside down peering into the hatch. I spotted an opening 15 or so feet away at the fringe of visibility. Must have exited there. I'm going to go back tomorrow at the same time I saw the fish today just to see if it is territorial based upon time of day. At least, I tried to do something good and noble to help the little guy out.

Bass are somewhat territory based. I know it seems like I see the same one around the platforms at Bonnie Castle launch area. Seems to me to be a good excuse to dive another day!!!:wink:

Wish you good luck and hope it works out. Keep us posted.

:):):)Incredible:):):)

Trace,

I am a 1000 Island fisherman but don't dive up there.

Are you saying you have never seen cormorant underwater or never seen one swim into a wreck?

Trace,

I am a 1000 Island fisherman but don't dive up there.

Are you saying you have never seen cormorant underwater or never seen one swim into a wreck?

We've seen birds diving. At Dutch Springs one day two cormorants passed below us at the same time reaching 40 - 50 or so feet. But, yes, never have I seen one enter into a wreck. Without a light, the opening it went into was pitch black other than the bit of green daylight at the fringe of visibility. Brave bird.

Why are you not diving up here? We have world class wrecks and drift dives.

If your gf won’t let you dive as much as you want, I can see making up some stories.... but a fish needs your help????

You gotta be able to come up with something a little better than that!

Ps I heard there was a turtle stuck under a log - third one on the left after the big rock just off the ledge.

Went back at the same time I encountered it and the fish wasn't there today. Spent 65 minutes around the wreck, but a smallmouth bass with either a wound or a parasitic infection on its side hasn't ventured more than 20 feet in 2 days. The cormorant was back diving on the bow around 5 PM.

Back
Top Bottom