I want to murder my computer and feed it to the fishies!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Am I the only one concerned we'll be reading about her in A&I forum?

Really we are back to that again? "I don't like the way you are doing things so obviously you are going to die?" Should something happen to me by all means talk to your hearts content, analyze all the variables and lay blame as you see fit.

But at the end of the day, it is my body and my diving, and only I know myself best. Myself, my buddy, fellow divers on the boat, captain, and my instructor have no worries about how I conduct myself. So forgive me if I take these people's words of wisdom when they know me, my ways, the dive site and all it's hazards, over people online that think they can see every variable.

Thank you again to everyone that has offered their wisdom and advice to help me move forward with my diving. My questions have been answered and I no longer see use in continuing the thread. Should you have more questions/comments feel free to send me a pm.

Safe diving !

Actually I think qute a few people suggested using your current computer as a bottom timer...
Melanie, when I did my deco course I used a bottom timer and tables...
Some instructors will not allow you to use a computer in anything other than bottom timer mode. I also use a Predator, like Ian, but I think that learning how to dive tables with bottom timers is an extremely useful skill.
I do have another depth gauge, but no second timer. I don't exactly want to buy another timer when eventually that will be this computers job.
For the longest time my main bottom timer was the Mares Puck and my backup was my cheap, yet reliable, Casio G-Shock used in conjunction with an analog depth gauge I took out of an old console. You don't have to spend big to get an adequate backup timer and depth gauge.
And if push comes to shove, I know that 100 psi in my tank is 10 minutes at 10 feet when relaxed. And there is always my buddy as well
When push comes to shove you do whatever it takes to stay alive and hopefully healthy. That said, I don't like counting on the last 100 psi of a tank. 100 psi means basically empty. Second stage regs need between 120 to 150 psi of intermediate pressure to perform correctly. Depending on your reg design, you can end up having a very hard time trying to suck gas out of a tank that has less than the nominal IP that a 2nd stage reg needs. This can easily add to the cascading set of other problems and end up in panic which can lead to very bad things. Even if you don't panic, you don't want to pile that kind of difficulty on top of the rest of the other problems that got you into the situation of having only 100 psi left for the next 10 mins...

Also, Melanie, don't take this as being a judgemental comment. You may well be aware of everything I wrote above, but this is a public forum and people of all experience levels read it. Some readers may interpret that you're saying that it's ok to go down to 100 psi because you'll still have 10 mins left (which, of course, is not your intent).

Last edited:
Am I the only one concerned we'll be reading about her in A&I forum?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

We've all been there; no convincing her. :idk:

I don't know, because with the Mares as soon as the deco obligation is done it starts counting down a 3 minute safety stop. Did another simulation, and the time to ascend does not include a safety stop. ie I had 6 mins of deco, and it said time to ascend was 7 minutes.
As well, time to ascend while in safety stop is nothing.. so I am assuming that means 0 :D

In that case the most likely explanation is while she was hovering at 10 feet she ascended with the waves above the ceiling and the computer penalized her by increasing the deco time.

Adam

That's what I don't get, I was at EXACTLY 10 feet, no reason for the minutes to take so long.
The altitude is set to P0 (0-2300ft). The least conservative setting possible

Melanie,
I understand that you have posted this in the equipment section of the forum, and therefore you want everyone to stick to the point and answer your specific questions.
However ... there are some underlying cues in there that worry all of us. I have sat on my hands a few days and resisted giving you an answer you do not want to hear.
Fact : If you have a good instructor and solid buddy, they should not be allowing you to do these dives.
It is true that no one has the authority to stop you making these dives, but whats the hurry ?
Your computer is obviously not designed for the dives you are doing.
Altitude settings are not conservatism settings.
There are so many things that you mention that set everyones alarm bells ringing that they cannot sit back and watch.
I seriously hope you take some of the advice here to heart.
It is no fun being bent, either for you or the people who have to take care of you.

Be safe and I apologise if this post has offended you.

In all seriousness, melanie... I'm smart enough to know when I'm dumb. We apparently have similar dive chronologies. But I know that even if I respect my dive partners, I'll tell them, what they are telling me is making me uncomfortable, and call the dive before it starts. There are four fellow divers on this forum, that can attest to that.

One of the greatest pieces of knowledge ever imparted among the human species, was told to me by my dad..'You know exactly half as much as you need to know, to know that you don't know s%#@.'

As an addendum...If the village idiot tells you to learn before you do...or if 'Issues Diver' tells you the same..Meh..grab an O2 pony and head for the Doria.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom