I want to murder my computer and feed it to the fishies!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No iztok I won't

Because I am not here to defend myself against your thoughts on my diving habits. I am here to learn from those who have had experience with my computer. As was the intent of the thread.

ps: I haven't heard an apology for wrongfully accusing me of mindlessly blowing deco obligations

Which part of "seems" you fail to grasp?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Which part of "seems" you fail to grasp?

Oh crap I missed one word in there that resolves you against all guilt though we all know what the general direction of your statement was. Will letting you get the last word in make you feel better?? :wink: lol

Melanie,
I hope you have DAN because the way I see things you ARE going to get in trouble not when. I want to get into tech diving so bad it all most hurts, but at this time I do not have the money either so I will not be doing any tech diving anytime soon because I can not get the training and all the other gear that goes with doing tech diving. I live in one of the greatest places to learn tech diving if you would like to get the training someone here would teach.If money is an issue I would be willing to let you camp on the farm. But please do something before you end up dead or worse. Maybe I would even be able to take the class with you.:cool2:

Heath
Thanks for your reply. Believe it or not I do have an instructor, and we discuss every dive before and after (I will see him again this week to discuss my last dive). The good, the bad, he lets me have it all. So I think I can trust a guy that's been diving way deeper and longer then I ever have for the last 50 years. If he has a class, I will take it. Until then I will continue to spend hours conversing with him at the shop, on the boat, and sharing some dives together.

I don't need the board's approval to continue with my diving, but I will take any constructive advice I can get. (Well, my version of constructive anyways :) )

There seems to be a number of divers who have some tech diving experience who seem to be saying that using a recreational dive computer for planned deco dives is a bad idea. I would have expected the recreational dive computer to be more conservative than necessary, so other than the general nature of the practice (using rec computer and unknown other tech dive tools and redundant measures) being questionable, I suspect the real problem is the carefree attitude that goes with this practice that is drawing fire.

Melanie,

RGBM has three factors that change the population of bubbles if you do bounce dives, reverse profiles, or repetitive dives (see “Decompression Theory” by B.R. Wienke). RGBM keeps the volume of gas in bubbles below a threshold value by controlling pressure gradient (difference between dissolved gas pressure and ambient pressure) and time. If you have more bubbles due to doing a bounce you get to that critical volume of gas faster. Dr. Wienke, to my knowledge, has not publicly disclosed how the calculated number of seed bubbles changes with bounces, reverse profiles or repetitive dives. Nor have those factors, again to my knowledge, been validated. So it is hard to answer the question what happened with your dive. Although it does sound like the conservative factor associated with bounce dives may have come into play. Following a computer that does unpredictable thing is no way to execute a dive that needs planning. You and your buddy really need to be following the same plan and as you have learned your computer is not helpful for that.

By the way I too was alarmed about your dive. We often do not realize the risks we are taking while diving because we get away with it most of the time.

Following a computer that does unpredictable thing is no way to execute a dive that needs planning. You and your buddy really need to be following the same plan and as you have learned your computer is not helpful for that.

Yes for sure I agree. I started this thread because I was also concerned, I haven't experienced this before with my computer. I had no way of knowing it would happen until it did. That is why I am seeking advice from those who know more about this computer then I do. Thank you for your insight

=C= - sorry I just read your edited post. I think I agree with you that I must have missed a deep stop. Quite easy to do apparently, the only warning I would get is an audible alarm. Be exhaling at that point and I won't hear it.

So this makes me wonder (and forgive me if it is mentioned I am only halfway through the link you provided). Will the computer make deep stops at different depths for each dive, or will they always be at the same depth. Like for example will deep stops always be at 70, 55, 40 etc if they are needed, or will they vary for each dive? Because if they are always going to be at the same depth then easier to watch for them instead of relying on alarm.

Also, should I miss a deep stop, would going back down, or even maintaining a stop a few feet above have any effect on deco time? Or would it not even make a difference by that point to my computer.

More things to ponder and search for...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom