I want to murder my computer and feed it to the fishies!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MVPlan is a good idea. But she needs to understand what are Gradient Factors
Totally agree. But as I said in my previous post, my example is grossly oversimplified and not intended to be used for actual diving. I opted for oversimplifying in order to communicate certain basic concepts more effectively and to keep my post concise. Even then, my previous post ended up being very long.
In your example, you let GF 30-80, and these GF are for trimix diving. For a dive with air, i prefer 90-90, so the stops will be less strange for rec divers
I disagree. I think using GF 30-80 even with a single gas (air) is simply more conservative than 90-90 -- there is less risk. I do not think GF 30-80 should only be used for trimix. I also do not like drawing a line and labeling everybody on this side "tec" and everybody on that side "rec". Just because you try to wear a label does not mean the laws of physics are going to be applied differently to you. You'll form bubbles irrespective of whether you call yourself tec or rec. If you remove the deep stops and shorten the shallow stops by setting GF to 90-90, there will be more likelihood that you will come out of the water with more bubbles. Saying that this is done to keep stops more familiar to "rec" divers is a poor excuse for not educating divers properly about decompression theory. There are valid reasons for lowering conservatism in a dive plan. I just don't think that maintaining the ignorance of a set of divers is a valid reason.

Heath
Thanks for your reply.

I don't need the board's approval to continue with my diving, but I will take any constructive advice I can get. (Well, my version of constructive anyways :) )

Melanie, if you take one thing away, please understand that in spite of some occasional snarkiness, we are genuinely concerned that you dive safe.

I have a Mares Puck that uses RGBM. I have seen it demanding inordinate amounts of time after a repetitive dive. I did plan that dive and was fully aware that the time it was requiring was not reasonable.

The end result is that you end up with the questions you are posing. How in the world am I supposed to plan for a dive when I have no clear indication exactly by how much the computer will extend my stops.

My Puck also has deep stops. The screen will NOT tell me about a deep stop until I reach the deep stop depth. I think this is crappy, or at least confusing design.

I hope this helps.

Well, it helped convince me Mares sucks! :shakehead:

U-wa-tec. Uwatec. Just saying.

Marketing.
so, if it is your opinion, nothing more to discuss.

all divers in the world using Mares or Suunto and doing deco diving are actually dead, and Mares and Suunto are out of business, lacking of customers.

Last edited:
I think using GF 30-80 even with a single gas (air) is simply more conservative than 90-90 -- there is less risk. I do not think GF 30-80 should only be used for trimix. I also do not like drawing a line and labeling everybody on this side "tec" and everybody on that side "rec". Just because you try to wear a label does not mean the laws of physics are going to be applied differently to you. You'll form bubbles irrespective of whether you call yourself tec or rec. If you remove the deep stops and shorten the shallow stops by setting GF to 90-90, there will be more likelihood that you will come out of the water with more bubbles. Saying that this is done to keep stops more familiar to "rec" divers is a poor excuse for not educating divers properly about decompression theory. There are valid reasons for lowering conservatism in a dive plan. I just don't think that maintaining the ignorance of a set of divers is a valid reason.
these arguments are defensible.

so, if it is your opinion, nothing more to discuss.

don't forget : the truth is somewhere else.
if a lot of divers use Suunto, else the marketing is very good, else the divers are right to use them.

i have 250 dives with Mares and Suunto between 0 to 180 ft, and i'm alive, even when following the proposed deco.

O.K. Long Answer (Actually a question :wink: )

Lets suppose we go do a dive together. This is a cave I have done several times.

Normally use a light trimix but as the Suunto is nitrox only lets go with 27% nitrox as the bottom gas with 50% and 100% for deco.

Profile (with a couple of stages as well as sidemount tanks) is 135 feet for 15 minutes,100 feet for 70 minutes and then back down to 135 again for another 15 minutes.

How much deco will your computer want you to do? What is the depth of the first stop? How much deco gas do you need?

:hijack: Dubois, on another matter, weren't you working on reverse engineering some interface software for the Mares Puck? How is that coming around?

Suunto Dive Planner 1.0.0.3

392 cu ft on nx 27
29 cu ft on nx 50
62 cu ft on oxy
computed with secure sac 0.88 and 0.71 cu ft/min
01:42 83 ft 27 Palier profond
01:42 83 ft 27
01:43 82 ft 27
01:43 71 ft 50
01:43 70 ft 50
01:44 70 ft 50
01:44 57 ft 50 Deep Stop