I wish... for a Red Filter + Macro Filter combination!

Would you buy this combo red and macro filter if it was available?

• YES!

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • no.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Perhaps?

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Npallasi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I really wish there was a red filter + macro filter option for the Intova Sport HD II just like the one below.
polar_pro_p1014_switchblade_macro_filtru_rosu_pentru_gopro_hero3-125011920.jpg

The red filter goes on the camera lens and the macro lens can swivel in and out, or is relatively easy to detach.

At this moment I have these choices:

1) Shoot wide-angle OR macro using the diving mode (ELECTRONIC RED filter) and the MACRO lens: -- sometimes I want more red than the electronic red filter can provide. I'd rather not fumble with lenses underwater, so I either go down with or without the macro lens. It limits my options -- I cannot do both wide-angle and macro with ease.

2) Shoot wide-angle ONLY with SLIP-ON RED filter: -- I cannot shoot in macro because the macro lens will not fit onto the slip-on red filter lens.

3) Shoot macro ONLY with MACRO lens and the special SCREW-ON RED filter for the macro lens

If I want to shoot in both wide-angle AND macro using a physical red filter and the macro lens, I would have to bring three lenses underwater: the slip-on red, the macro and the screw-on red for the macro!

But what I REALLY want is:

The ability to shoot BOTH in wide-angle and macro, with a red filter for both, without having to fumble with three separate lenses underwater.

Please consider creating and manufacturing a combination red+macro (with macro as the lens farther away from the camera) option for us! :bounce3:

Hi Napallasi,

Very interesting point and I would love to hear more feedback from readers. We did some focus group studies on lens options and the feedback was that size and form factor were crucial. Our concern with a flip open system like you attached was that it was bulky, made it easy to knock filter or lens off and could break easily with rough treatment. So far, the separate elements seem to be the preferred method but we could be wrong and would love to hear more. What we do hear more of is a simple way to attach the filters/lens without having them hand from leashes.

Please let us know your thoughts on something like a neoprene filter wallet or clip on holder system.

a light would obviate the need for the red filter.

What lights are people using for sport HDs? Maybe that should be another thread

a light would obviate the need for the red filter.

When using the macro lens, a simple torch can do the job, but when using the wide-angle lens, it is very difficult to light up the whole area, so a red filter works much better.

Any method of switching between macro and wide-angle while keeping the red filter in place would be appreciated! Currently there is a red filter specifically for the macro lens and a red filter for without the macro lens. Ideally it would be simple to use, not requiring me to reach into pouches to change lenses underwater. The camera floats but the lenses don't, and my fingers are more buttery underwater with gloves.

Hi Napallasi,

Very interesting point and I would love to hear more feedback from readers. We did some focus group studies on lens options and the feedback was that size and form factor were crucial. Our concern with a flip open system like you attached was that it was bulky, made it easy to knock filter or lens off and could break easily with rough treatment. So far, the separate elements seem to be the preferred method but we could be wrong and would love to hear more. What we do hear more of is a simple way to attach the filters/lens without having them hand from leashes.

Please let us know your thoughts on something like a neoprene filter wallet or clip on holder system.

I recently used my Intova Edge in Curacao and loved it. But I did have trouble with the macro lens and the regular red lens filter. I was using my camera with the stick and I draped the leashes over the stick so when I took off the removable lenses they would hang from the stick, but they hung way too low. I was concerned about them banging around and possibly banging into some coral causing damage to the lenses and the coral. I ended up taking them off and just sticking them in my bcd pocket but that is a hassle having to dig them back out when you need them. Plus of course there's the risk of dropping them. Could you maybe make the length of the leashes adjustable? I'm not 100% sure this would fully fix the problem but it's an idea. I leave tomorrow for Little Cayman and now I also have the red filter for the macro lens. Can't wait to see what images I get. :)

Oh or maybe make an attachment for the camera that your extra lenses can clip onto. Not by the leash but that the lenses themselves clip on and off. And maybe the leash is also attached just in case it comes unclipped. I would buy that. Especially if it would hold all three of my extras. If you invent it you have to name it after me. And I would be happy to test it out for you. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom