I would like to hear from overweight female divers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

luvspoodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
I hope that I do not regret posting this. I just recently posted something that I wish I could pull, so please do not comment if you have nothing nice to say. I am 5'2" and I am overweight. I am a size 16 to be exact.I am not in good shape. However, I loooove diving. It is the only sport I have ever done, and it has boosted my self confidence so much. I know that being overweight raises my risk of DCS...but I already know that and don't need comments on it. I am working on getting myself into shape. I really would like to hear from the overweight females on this board about how they deal with their self image while diving. I am going to Cozumel in 3 weeks, and the thought of me in my wetsuit on a diveboat makes me nervous. I am mostly nervous about the fact that someone will be rude and tell me that I have no place diving, in my shape. I worry about this especially from the male hard core divers that I have encountered on this board. Once, when I mentioned how much lead I had to carry someone told me that I needed to lose weight and that I shouldn't be diving in my condition. So how do you handle it? Do you feel proud of yourself and who cares about what others think? Gosh, I wish I could be like that. Any pointers would be great! Both my husband and myself are overweight, and while he is a little self conscious about his tummy, he doesn't worry about it. Thank you for your time. Again, I would prefer that the comments are kept nice, as I know that I need to lose this weight in order to be a safer diver.

You already know the risks and you are actively doing something to reduce these - excellent job so far!!

You are also going to a great diving place in a couple of weeks and are pursuing something you love - that's fabulous!

Forget about all the nay sayers...you get out there and do it. Enjoy yourself...a) who cares what others are thinking (and for the really clueless, saying) b) you're out living life, not sitting in front of the keyboard being nasty to other people coz you have nothing better to do and c) most divers aren't judging you on anything but your diving skills and the fun you are having!

I'm jealous you're heading somewhere fun to dive! Have a fabulous time...and don't forget to relish those romantic moonlit nights in Cozumel with your hugable hubby!

I second the above message (although I'm not a woman....) Although it's better to be in good shape, diving can be done without too much strenuous activity, and is good for people who might find things like jogging too difficult at the moment. I wouldn't worry about anybody saying anything to you...I've never really seen that sort of thing on dive boats (with 5,000+ dives). As for what people think, you can't do much about that, other than to tilt the scales in your favor by being nice to people, and expect the same from them.

luvspoodles - sorry, I am not overweight. But a very close friend of mine who dives, is. What she does to overcome her fear of negative reactions & comments:
- wears a one piece swimsuit at all times, normally in navy, and slightly randomly patterned - dark enough to be flattering yet not too dark to be really hot, and the patterns distract from general appearance
- has her own personal wetsuit - doesnt struggle into/out of a badly fitted shop owned wetsuit - and everyone looks awful in a wetsuit, so once in - no worries.
- lead - often shops will have varying weights - I always get strange looks at the amount I have to carry (5-6kg~10-12lbs) for my size, so I get as an example 4 times 1.5kg weights - they just look less
- post dive - take a large baggy t-shirt & a sarong to wear on top of yourswimsuit after you get out

there will always be one or two idiots (emphasis on idiot) that will make audible comments, but that is just the same in life as in diving.
this board is more of a mixture of divers than you will get in a resort - remember on a resort, most people will be out of shape, unfit, not regular divers, and will be too worried themselves to care about what someone else looks like.:wink:

Hi luvspoodles,
I am overweight. I haven't seen a size 16 in a couple of years. I am 38 and smoke. Guess you could say the epitome of outa shape! I started diving in august this year and love it. I understand how you feel about being self conscious more than you can know. BUT. 1) I am doing something that I never dreamed I would be doing in my life. 2) I am doing something outside (finally found outside activity I enjoy because I am really sensitive to heat). 3) After seeing some of the speedo wearers, snot comming outa peoples noses when they come up, and that none of us look like super models in our gear. I don't care what I look like. Yes you may find the naysayers but ignore them. You are diving for you and doing something you enjoy. Most of those people on the boat, you will not see again. I just completed

AOW in San Antonio and my instructor kept telling me that he was proud of me for being out there doing something and not staying hidden behind my computer. He has no idea how much that means to me.

I know this has been long but I hope it helps. Feel free to PM me if you like.

Judy

jstuart1:
After seeing some of the speedo wearers, snot comming outa peoples noses when they come up, and that none of us look like super models in our gear.
Judy

LOL!

Couldn't agree more, Judy, well said! Luvspoodles, a lot of women feel what you feel, especially when they first start diving. I always reassure them that diving isn't glamorous and everyone looks a state (especially when they get out of cold water and take off their hoods!) and that we all look equally ridiculous. And as Judy says, once you've seen your buddies dripping with snot, there really isn't too much to be self conscious about! So try not to worry. And have a fantastic trip. Make sure you report back.

luvspoodles:
I am mostly nervous about the fact that someone will be rude and tell me that I have no place diving, in my shape. I worry about this especially from the male hard core divers that I have encountered on this board. Once, when I mentioned how much lead I had to carry someone told me that I needed to lose weight and that I shouldn't be diving in my condition.

Certainly anyone who would be crass enough to make an audible remark is not worthy your respect and consideration.

Many, many, many, people dive who are not in the best condition or health to dive. There are people diving with heart & vascualr conditions, diabetes, asthma and even a history of having had seizures. Lots of people diving are overweight and out of shape. We only pass through this life once--if you have something you really want to do or try then now is the time to do so.

As to the amount of lead one needs, the important thing is that you take the amount that is right for you and the gear you wear. Too little weight and you won't descend, too much weight and you will have trouble with trim and big trouble with buoyancy control. Take the amount that is right for you whether that is 2 lbs or 100 lbs.

Whether a person is physically overweight, underweight or at their ideal weight excellent buoyancy control is what mitigates a lot of the risks in diving. Proper weighting is crucial to excellent buoyancy control and can be achieved by anyone regardless of body size or shape.

My advice---ignore the naysayers and social clods, dive with skill and ability,have fun in Coz, take pictures and post them along with your trip report.

luvspoodles,

I'm not a woman, I am 5' 7" and weigh 165#. I don't know about others, but I think it's great that you have found SCUBA as a hobby that you love. Don't worry about what some unconciderate people think and have fun. As for me I prefer full figured women over their skinny counterparts.

poodles, you just go and have a good time in Coz, I am pretty sure that no one will give you a hard time there and if they do they are just of no consequence.

Oh yeah, dont worry about all the macho hard core divers either, they are all putzing around in some naff quarry in Idaho or somewhere.

Poodles I'm an instructor and have thousands of dives under your belt. When I'm off diving and having fun I could care less what someone else looks like.

I recently trained a woman who is overweight and feels very self conscious about her size. During the first wetsuit session she felt like quitting and giving it all up. She called me from home very emotional and needed me to pick up her spirits.

She and her daughter were very good students and have developed into very good divers. She loves it as you do and is working towards earning her master diver rating.

Old Russian proverb applies to those who don't like what you look like, I"ll clean it up :)

"Screw em"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom