I would like to hear from overweight female divers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay. I am 5"8. I am a size 14 and I have a lot of muscle bulk. I used to be a size 8..... Then the brats came along... And my hubby still tells me that I am the sexiest thing ever (good boy, but not entirely helpful to weight loss).

Another problem. I have always been an athlete and a body builder with lots of muscle bulk. I have Never had a pair of off the rack jeans. Quads and calves too big. I can wear some men's loose fit jeans, but the waist hangs out no matter what.
My shoulders and chest are also broad.

I have Never found a wetsuit in women's that fits me. I Can wear men's suits but it has to be a large for my quads and then it is baggy around the waist and top........

Sooo. I just am afraid to spend even more. I think I should just deal with the boys suits. Unless there is fantastic out there. Anybody??? Anybody?? Bueller???

In case some of u didn't notice, luvpoodles posted this thread in 2006... Hopefully she continues to enjoy diving. Of course the thread is still relevant now!

2004 actually I think. But wholly crap! You're right! That's a long time ago!

What's your experience in BCDs, ladies, for the non-twiggish among us? I'll cop to being 5'4" and a size 16/18 (thanks to the hips...getting pants to fit my *waist* is another rant entirely).

For BCs, I was on the cusp of a guy's L/XL during my OWD training, and ended up in the XL. However, being my height, the BC was naturally kind of long, and with a waist that's about 14" less than my hips, the cummerbund kept wanting to slide up on me. I ended up with the shoulders around my ears a few times after surface inflation. Workable for training gear or a rental where your options are limited, but if I'm putting money out for my own equipment, I want more comfort and better fit than that.

But looking at BCs built for women (Hera, Ladyhawke, Diva, Libra, etc.), they don't quite go up to my size, usually thanks to one measurement or another. I've heard good things about the Zeagle Zena and its adjustability, but not sure if the L would fit me...?

Anyone have recommendations on the matter? Also, I'm in cold water, and wearing a 7mm wetsuit, which might affect some opinions.

Hey corclacier7,

I'm also new to diving, and looking for a BCD that fits. I'm pretty much going to go with a Zeagle (either Zena, Lazer or Stilletto) due to their ability to be modular for the sizing. They don't use sizes like 14/16 etc; You'll need your chest, waist and shoulder to waist (so torso length) measurement. The Hera has 3 components for sizing so you can customize it. So for instance, you could be a med in waist, but a large or xl in the chest and a small for the length of your torso and they'll put together the right combination for you. The other good thing is that if your size changes, you can just swap out one of the pieces for another size rather than replacing the whole bc. I read that they also do custom sizes too.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Zendiver - have you tried the Bare super stretchy women's suits? I think I am of similar build to you I think - I had good luck with a Bare suit combo - it's a full suit with a hooded shorty that goes over (although it can be hard to get the shorty zipper started around the thighs. It's really stretchy so I find there is less room at the small of my back, but can still get the thing over my hips. It does compress more than some other suits I've tried. Bare runs small (at least this suit did) - I had to go up 2 to 3 sizes from my street clothes to find a good fit. I think it might be called (not sure) the Hydrostretch 7/6mm Velocity full suit, and a 5mm Velocity vest (it's a shorty with no sleeves but has an attached hood).

Good luck!

Another option, I know some custom suits can run about the same as high end off the rack. Maybe something to investigate...

I actually had good luck, in 7mm wetsuits, with the Pinnacle Elite.

The Pinnacle women's sizes actually pretty much match the men's in coming in a tiny-to-titanic range. From what I saw, that's unfortunately a rare thing since a lot of women's suits look like their 14 or 16 or XL is more like to being a size 10.

Plus the material seems to have a good bit of give for your curves, and on the snorkeling tests I did, the merino-based lining? Mmmmm, warm.

Edit: JK, I actually looked at the Bare Arctic since that looked like another nice 7mm, but their size chart was just shy. If you tell me they tend to cut small besides, probably a good choice for me to stay away. Thanks!

Last edited:
Aalthough it can be hard to get the shorty zipper started around the thighs.

Start the zipper and run it up about 4 inches before stepping in, it will don like a pair of shorts. It ends working up like many other brands that stop the zipper about that distance from the bottom cuff.

Pete

Hi,
I hope that I do not regret posting this. I just recently posted something that I wish I could pull, so please do not comment if you have nothing nice to say. I am 5'2" and I am overweight. I am a size 16 to be exact.I am not in good shape. However, I loooove diving. It is the only sport I have ever done, and it has boosted my self confidence so much. I know that being overweight raises my risk of DCS...but I already know that and don't need comments on it. I am working on getting myself into shape. I really would like to hear from the overweight females on this board about how they deal with their self image while diving. I am going to Cozumel in 3 weeks, and the thought of me in my wetsuit on a diveboat makes me nervous. I am mostly nervous about the fact that someone will be rude and tell me that I have no place diving, in my shape. I worry about this especially from the male hard core divers that I have encountered on this board. Once, when I mentioned how much lead I had to carry someone told me that I needed to lose weight and that I shouldn't be diving in my condition. So how do you handle it? Do you feel proud of yourself and who cares about what others think? Gosh, I wish I could be like that. Any pointers would be great! Both my husband and myself are overweight, and while he is a little self conscious about his tummy, he doesn't worry about it. Thank you for your time. Again, I would prefer that the comments are kept nice, as I know that I need to lose this weight in order to be a safer diver.

When I was younger (and not as overweight) I was very insecure and ashamed of my body. Now I'm older and MORE overweight, but I'm tired of worrying about other people may think. I started diving a year ago, and even going dancing something I would never have done in my 20's I am now in my 40's. Is time to live my life and be happy. Do the same for yourself. To hell what anyone thinks as long as your leaving your life for you.:lotsalove:

I'm a teenager and I want to use diving as a way to get more fit, i'm also plus size, 6'1 and about 300lbs and i just feel like I wouldn't be welcome into even a diving class because of how I look and everything. I have to admit its pretty disheartening. Anyone have advice? I know this is an old thread but it's the only thing i've found that doesn't basically tell me to just not do it.

I'm a smaller plus size than you are, Ariana. I was not in shape when I got certified last fall. I'm going to tell you flat out, right now, start getting yourself in shape BEFORE you start diving. It's a lot of work. Even just hauling the gear around. A standard tank weighs about 40 lbs/18 kg when full. I started swimming laps in snorkeling gear with a kick board over the winter, to work on my flutter kick, build leg strength, as well as cardio. I've got knee issues and my doc has told me that swimming is the best exercise for me. I started just after Christmas and I am now up to doing at least a mile per pool session. I've been going mostly twice a week due to my schedule and will up it to three times a week once my schedule clears in a few weeks.

So, girl, get yourself into the pool! And don't just walk the pool, SWIM! Snorkel laps.

I'm going to be very blunt here - plump people are floaty people. :DFat is more buoyant than muscle. So us heavier types, especially women, tend to need more lead to get us down. Plus us women have two, uh, life preservers (boobs). More body fat + more lead needed to get down = a lot more weight to schlep around on land before you get into the water. People are frankly shocked I need as much lead as I do (I'm working on reducing the amount this summer).

Plus, the bigger you are, the fewer choices you have in gear. Especially if you're a woman. I'm short AND round, which mean I had to go custom for a dry suit.

Would your doc even sign off on you to swim (aka are you healthy?).

Last edited:
I'm a teenager and I want to use diving as a way to get more fit, i'm also plus size, 6'1 and about 300lbs and i just feel like I wouldn't be welcome into even a diving class because of how I look and everything. I have to admit its pretty disheartening. Anyone have advice? I know this is an old thread but it's the only thing i've found that doesn't basically tell me to just not do it.
Diving is a great sport for the high in body fat category:)....you need to make a life change so your life will last longer....simple equation....burn more calories than you consume and eat the right calories...you will lose weight! Take it one day at a time.....you go ahead and start that OW class!

Back
Top Bottom