I would like to hear from overweight female divers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ariana, if you can wing it health wise and financially (let's face it, diving costs money and as a teenager that may get tough at times) and you know you want to give it a try and go from there, by all means go take the class find out if you feel diving may do for you what you hope it does. It very well might.
I lost a few pounds motivated by diving last year, wanting to get in better shape for it... There is something to that thought.

But there is no magic that makes divers that much better than normal folks... well I lIke to think maybe a lititle bit better... there is a kind of connecting cimmunity thing... I think.... Many will be very nice, some downright helpful and some not at all. And I can see that it can be tough, especially as a younger person to not let those get to you. But what can I say is just don't let them get to you. Best way to do that is find something you like to do, do it, keep doing it, get good at it and work to get better at it and most importantly, have fun all along the way.

Step 1: see if the doctor agrees.
Step 2; Talk to dive schools, if possible in person and see where you feel welcome. You likely will be welcome in most of them, but if that matters to you, see where it feels that way to you.
Step 3. Take the plunge - if you can at first with rental gear (to get an idea what you are getting into) and then go from there. You will find out what you can rent and if and where you have trouble finding something in your size. Marie13 was all practical about it...

BTW she has a point or several... working on getting into better shape will only do you good. But you have to determine if you are fit enough to get started and then see if diving helps to motivate you getting fitter indeed

One caveat - not sure if you think of it that way:
I don't think the act of diving itself is all that great for fitness. A big point is to do as little as necessary and do it all efficiently to make the air last longer. Working out during a dive is not the thing to do for various reasons (air usage, DCS likelihood) But working out because of wanting to be in better shape for diving... that works for me...

My additional advice is to get a calendar just for doing daily, gentle stretches, and mark every day that you do them. This should start before starting exercise, or you could pull a muscle/tendon/whatever. Doesn't hurt, and it will make your body feel more lively! I am diving with a BMI in the obese range, but I do walk and stretch every day and this protects me from getting cramps in my legs as I see other divers get.

I'm a teenager and I want to use diving as a way to get more fit, i'm also plus size, 6'1 and about 300lbs and i just feel like I wouldn't be welcome into even a diving class because of how I look and everything. I have to admit its pretty disheartening. Anyone have advice? I know this is an old thread but it's the only thing i've found that doesn't basically tell me to just not do it.

The diving community is generally very accepting of different body shapes and sizes, so that should not be a big issue (though dive instructors at tropical locales do often have that surfer dude look/physique, their pupils don't). And diving is a very fun sport. Check with your family physician to see if he/she sees any reason not to go diving, and then have fun!

Having said that, I don't think it's a particularly good way to get in shape or lose weight. Getting a little bit more in shape first can help. The suiting up, getting in and out of the water with protective gear and the additional weight you will need to balance out properly can be a strain on the body (back in particularly). Other than that, diving is not a particularly strenuous sport.

Once upon a time I was a body building power lifter (yes female), then due to a move and job change I fell off the wagon and blew up like a ballon. I have been active in may sports and adventures in my life. I finally picked up SCUBA and I can tell you my motivation to lose weight is high. Absolutely amazing how crazy cool SCUBA is, and yes being on the fluffy side I can still dive, the fact it is causing me to suck through air is making me mad!! To stay under longer with out sucking through air I need to get my butt back in shape and build my cardio.

Can I do it while fluffy (50lbs overweight) Yep and I have 31 dives at this weight, however I find myself more mad at myself and wanting to fix this. Not a single person has ever commented to my about my weight. I know it is a hindrance, but that can be fixed :)

I am the only naysayer arsehole who has said anything to me about being fat. :D

LOL, agilfox, I'm a bit fluffy too (still have 30lbs to release from my body), yet I sip the air compared to my buddies. . great fun! :D

LOL, agilfox, I'm a bit fluffy too (still have 30lbs to release from my body), yet I sip the air compared to my buddies. . great fun! :D

HA! I love it!

I joke I am an athlete trapped in a fluffy chick's body. But food is so good!!!

Ha ha! Yes, me too, I've said similar!
Agree.. food is so good.. especially after diving! A few of us who dive together often will go out for breakfast afterwards. Nothing better than some eggs, hashbrowns, and bacon after a dive!
Except Rum. LOL

I have some pragmatic reasons not to dive 1-1 with overweight people... I simply can't assist them in any way. I might be fit, but I'm never getting you out of the water should I need to. (edit: and no, I don't apply that to myself. If you're unable to get me out, I don't care)
So if you snap your ankle and it's just the 2 of us, you're basically on your own. We went through that with a buddy, had to be 2 to help another person... Both of us are in pretty decent shape and we struggled.

Diving does not imo make people fit, but it requires some level of fitness, depending on the conditions you dive. If you're unable to fit (or climb) the ladder or get back up over the side of the boat, any reasonable dive op should refuse you to come with them. I've been through some places where the dinghy had no ladder, or some hard boats with a narrow opening at the back.

Also keep in mind that you should be able to swim decently. Finding a suit might suck (at least in my part of the world).

My advice would be to start working on getting in shape for a few months (something like 2 months starts giving decent results) before diving, but that's just my opinion.

Hope it's okay for a non-obese male to comment here :)
I will say that I've gotten used to divers being overweight, and therefore I don't expect it to be problematic. It's a lazy sport, and hence divers don't become fit from diving alone. As was pointed out several times during this rather long thread, diving is unflattering in many ways, a little body fat is just part of it. I can't think of any time I've seen a diver comment on another divers body shape after 11 years of diving. So that shouldn't be your concerns. I've experienced loads of obese diving instructors who are great divers.

I will however, say that there are a few things an overweight diver could consider before going diving with a new dive ops and new people, for your own sake, for the sake of the dive ops, and for your buddy (I'll be over-exaggerating some issues I've seen obese divers have): 1: If your air consumption is high ask if there are larger tanks / pony bottles, and at least make people aware of it. It sucks for every part to end a dive early due to one person, however, this is also something that happens with fit people simply being inexperienced. 2: Consider if exposure protection is necessary and if you are within the sizes a dive centre can be expected to have. 3: Make sure the boat / shore is accessible to you in case you have issues "jumping" out of the water or getting over higher ledges, you don't wanna wait until you are in the water after the first dive to figure out you can't get back on the boat since there's no ladder. 4: Practise putting on your gear yourself - this is mostly since I imagine all the times I've helped obese divers getting in their gear isn't particularly comfortable for that diver - divers are used to helping each other putting on gear, doing buddy checks and such, but I imagine the situation where it's another diver struggling with velcroing the cumberband around you isn't great. 5: Try to figure out how much weight you use, as a DM I've been completely blank when having to guess how much weight particularly overweight people need, there are just more variables like amount of muscle under the fat, experience level etc. I have probably over-weighted a few overweight divers due to doubts about needed weight.

Good luck with diving, and don't let some extra kilos hold you back, we're all used to it.

Last edited:
I think the air consumption recommendation applies to everyone regardless of body weight. I think I have good (but not amazing) air consumption, i.e. I can usually dive at least an hour on a typical 'bonaire dive' (i.e. down to about 25-28 meters max until half tank, then turn and shallow up to 12-15 meters and go back).

The absolute worst diver I ever witnessed in terms of air consumption was an in-shape early twenties israeli dude in the Poor Knights islands in new Zealand. Maybe 5'10, 160 lbs dripping wet, and he blew through his tank at a depth of no more than 30 feet in less than 20 minutes. He was also the worst diver I've ever witnessed (I think he kicked someone's mask off about 5 times - mine once, girlfriend's twice, and that was with us trying to keep a distance). Your lungs are determined by height and genetics, not excess weight, and if you're calm in the water (comes with experience), and it's an easy dive, it shouldn't matter much. If you need to work against current, etc. physical fitness will allow better air consumption (greater work for the same respiration).

Back
Top Bottom