i'am new

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fillylove

Reaction score
morning..I wanted to ask a few questions...What is the difference between SSI and PADI certifacation? I was told PADI is better and homes in on skills more so than SSI. I was disapointed that there is so many people in one class at a time. There are eight of us for one teacher. I 'am nervous and excited about starting this new adventure. I also would like to know if there is a certain brand of equipment that is better then others. Thanks for lending an ear...

Welcome aboard fillylove! Greetings from Guam!

I don't know much about SSI, I was trained through PADI, but I've learned that there are both good and bad instructors with ANY agency. Does your instructor have any assistants or divemasters helping him in the water? Is he taking all 8 of you in the water at once?

If you feel uncomfortable about ANYTHING...make sure you let him (or his divemaster) know. Take it as slow as you need too...and enjoy!

As for the gear...I don't really think any manufacturer is better than another. It all depends on what you are looking for. Higher price doesn't mean better quality. Wait until you are finished you class before you start looking at buying gear. But, quality name brands are: Scubapro, Aqualung, Seaquest, Oceanic, Mares, Tusa, DiveRite, Zeagle...I know I'm forgetting some, but I'm sure other people will add to this list!

Hey, I saw you were a animal surgeon. Same as a vet...only more so??? Love your name! I have a bunny and 4 cats (only had one to begin with...but a stray adopted me and had two kittens!) but my first love is horses!

Welcome to the world of SCUBA!! There are several agengies that train people in SCUBA. Overall the training requirements are pretty similar although there may be some difference in philosophy or approach. Your question about which agency is better comes up very frequently and the general concensus seems to be that the instructor is more important than which agency does your training. 8 students in a class is not at all uncommon with any agency. Some instructors prefer 4 some like 8 but will sometimes have an assistant instructor or a divemaster help them. It sounds like you have at least one class and/or pool session done already. Relax, pay close attention and watch the instructor demonstrations carefully and you should do just fine.

My sister is PADI trained as am I however she is the better diver--she had better instruction IMHO. My sisters husband is SSI trained as is a friend of mine and both are very good divers.

Again welcome to the wonderful world of SCUBA. Keep us posted on your progress and feel free to ask any questions you may have. There is a tremendous wealth of information to be found on this message board.

jbd

The main differnces between PADI and SSI is that SSI is more diveshop orientated than Padi.The skills are basically the same and 8 students is an acceptable amount of students for training by one instructor.Your note sounds like you're a little nervous.My advice to you would be to ...
1. Relax. This is meant to be fun and exciting.Don't put pressure on yourself to perform.Go as you feel comfortable and the instructor should adapt to your needs.If not,then talk to him/her. OW is entry level to scuba and it is mainly there to set boundaries for the beginner and to help teach you your limitations.
2. Ask questions and do so until your happy.Any fears can be allayed by being informed.
3. Get along side the other students.There are always some who are more confident than others and buddy with them.
4. HAVE FUN !!!!!!

Don't worry about gear at this stage.It is a large investment and it takes time for a new diver to get comfortable in the water and the gear should be tailored to your needs and dive locations.Rent for now.
Remember...there's not a single mistake that you will make that WE HAVEN'T MADE OURSELVES ALREADY !!!
Tell us your stories and we can all have a good laugh together.
Cheers Horsy Ears,
The Thunder from Down Under,
The one and only,
Gasman.

fillylove
I like to add one point, all agencys fall under SEC scuba education council. They set the standard for teaching all levels. Open water is just about the same. it differ's when you get advanced open water. some require diff amounts of dives, 4-5-6 dives, also a big differnce is padi is world known. They also have a set limit as to what can be tought at each level a min and max. as where others only have a min. and don't for get they'er phone no. 1-800-paypadi
diverjohnz

As a new diver my self I checked out alot of dive shops befor choosing the one I am going to and what I found is it dosent matter who you go to for OW. the PADI shop near me accepts SSI OW for entrence into there AOW cert course. I just felt more comfortable with the instructor at the SSI shop here. I also e-mailed several dive operators and they all honor most "major" C-cards, inc PADI,SSI,YMCA,ect. SO find an Instructor you trust so you can relax and learn.

I am certified by SSI but it was a matter of convenience in my situation. SSI was started by PADI instructors that wanted to be a little more technical in their OW teaching. I learned a few technical things that my boyfriend in PADI didn't learn. I have dived in Hawaii, Cozumel, and Palau and never had a problem with the certification. Find whoever makes you most comfortable.

For gear go to http://www.leisurepro.com for the very best in prices. I did tons of research. You can also check out Rodale's online for reviews. I love my gear. I have been diving only 1.5 years.

Back
Top Bottom