IANTD's Essential's Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm, I just did a quick look at some of my costs over the last couple of years:

DM -- shop fee was $600 (more or less)
AI/EFRI -- instuctor fee was $500
IDC -- $1325
PADI -- $485

That's roughly $3000 and that doesn't include anything except fees directly for the training.

Now to become a qualified diver so that I believe I have the experience to teach diving:

OW -- AOW -- Rescue -- 5+ Specialties -- $1400 in shop fees

And that is just for PADI classes.

Now I add on the classes that have actually taught me how to dive:

UTD Essentials, Rec. 2 & 3
GUE Fundies
NAUI Tech
TDI Cavern/Intro to Cave/Cave

I'm starting to get real close to $10,000 JUST IN CLASS FEES -- and that doesn't include the trips to:

Hawaii, Indonesia (where I learned a VERY important lesson relating to my DM education!!!), BVI, Mexico....

Yup, I'd say I've spent WAY more than $10,000 to learn how to be an adequate PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor. Quite frankly, I believe that people who do NOT take the time, and spend the money (or spend the time if they work their way through this) to get much more than the minimal education in both diving skills and diving experiences, are doing their future students a disservice.

I have to second Superlytes cost information for becoming at least in the florida keys. That is assuming you are already a Dive Master. If your not already pro getting up to pro does get costly and a am of the same thought 0 - instructor rarely makes for a good instructor. 0 - hero internships although they do leave you with the ability to instructor you lack the foundational experience that makes for a good instructor.

If you already hold a dive master rating you are looking at between $1,200.00 and $1,500.00 for the IDC itself plus course materials Retail on the IDC Crew Pack is $717.50, last but not least you have a $619.00 cost to PADI Direct for the IE and Instructor registration. So your looking at $2536.50 if the IDC itself is $1,200. Now that said most locations will give you better pricing on the materials when you are doing the IDC with them.

Where PADI gets pricy is if you want to follow your IDC with a MSDT Prep course which normally runs about $900.00 plus the application fees of $46.50 for each speciality. MSDT Prep normally includes five speciality course.

You can pass on doing the MSDT Prep course and wait till you have issued 25 certs on your own then do direct application based on experience as a diver to be a speciality instructor.

Trust me on this, AZ knows what he's talking about when it comes to PADI stuff

Yup, I'd say I've spent WAY more than $10,000 to learn how to be an adequate PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor. Quite frankly, I believe that people who do NOT take the time, and spend the money (or spend the time if they work their way through this) to get much more than the minimal education in both diving skills and diving experiences, are doing their future students a disservice.

I could not agree more. I have met the rare exception. But that's 1 out of 100.

For Instructor? Probably NSS-CDS
For Fundies/Essentials? I think I'm too fat for GUE, and My tanks are different colors, and I only dive a drysuit when it's cold.... lol

Undecided to be honest.

For Fundies/Essentials? I think I'm too fat for GUE, and My tanks are different colors, and I only dive a drysuit when it's cold.... lol

Undecided to be honest.

I know you were speaking in jest, but for the record, you can take Fundies in a wetsuit and single tank no problem, and if you're cave diving and looking into being an instructor, no doubt you can pass the modest requirements. The buoyancy, trim and team dynamics taught in the class are transferable.

Undecided to be honest.[/]

I've seen a number of gue divers larger then you so know worries there.

Undecided to be honest.

Are you already a recreational instructor?

As for the cost, while you may be able to pay less than $3000 for IDC, IE, materials, etc, there's also the missed work. And whether you just don't earn anything, like me, or you use vacation time for it, it's still a cost unless you're retired.

Trust me, I know what's involved.

There is a scheduled GUE fundamentals class in key largo the 25-29th of October, if your interested, we would love to have you. if you just want to stop by for a visit meet some of the students and ask a few questions come on by. Also, feel free to call me directly on my cell to ask whatever you want. I'm teaching long days this week in Ft Lauderdale.....in a wetsuit,<VBG>, but should be available from time to time. Off to Altoona PA next week to give a talk before heading to CA for DIR day at Laguna. Look forward to hearing from you. best, Bob Sherwood GUE/TD 6077653942

Undecided to be honest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom