Ibuprofen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, you should be OK - when I was playing contact sports, Vitamin I was a part of my morning routine. I've only dived on it once though.

However, there a lot depends on what you mean by your knee is not good. If you've torn cartilage in the past (or whatever) and have low grade semi-constant pain that you use Ibu to reduce then that's fine.

If you're trying to mask a current injury with painkillers, I'd be worried. Not about the Ibuprofen itself, but the fact that your knee might not be up to diving.

But yeah, I have a bad knee (they had to take all my cartilage out when I was 18 so a decade later I'm well on my way to arthritis apparantly) so I take fish oil and glucosamine every morning and have found that helps a lot.

Nonsteroidal antiinflammatories, of which ibuprofen is one, have a pain-killing effect as well as an antiinflammatory effect, and do not have central nervous system effects of sedation which limit the use of other painkillers while diving. They have some mild effects on blood clotting, which to my knowledge have never been shown to be either beneficial or the reverse. Prolonged use can be associated with several nasty side effects, including gastrointestinal bleeding and kidney damage. Acute use can cause nausea in some people. NSAIDs are used with caution in some folks with other medical conditions, as discussed in the DAN article HERE.

I think there are a lot of us who would enjoy fewer activities (and enjoy them a lot less) without the assistance of NSAIDs, especially as we age.

Doc, didn't you just come back from a trip?

I take ibuprofen every morning too and just started taking gloscimine 3x a day for a knee injury. No problems so far with the ibu. hopefully the gloscimine will help. I thought it was a gimick at first but a few people have told me it works so i guess i will see.

I take two ibuprofen every morning for general maintenance purposes,was doctor recommendedalso take gloscimine every morning to help rebuild the joints,this stuff really works but you have to take it daily.

Doc, didn't you just come back from a trip?

Yes, two weeks in Mexico, cave diving -- And if you think I survived schlepping doubles up and down ALL THOSE STAIRS without ibuprofen, you're crazy!

Yes, two weeks in Mexico, cave diving -- And if you think I survived schlepping doubles up and down ALL THOSE STAIRS without ibuprofen, you're crazy!

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom