Ice diving great lakes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

splitkey01

Contributor
Reaction score
Looking for a little help reaching out to members here for maybe some recommendations. Looking for a location on the Great Lakes that my dive team can perform a couple days of ice diving. A few things to go with this is need some type of facility lodge type to hold approximately 15-20 people within a short distance to the dive side. Another preference would be diving over some type of wreck in the 50-80 ft range. If any has any info I would greatly appreciate it.

Joe T.

Well when do you plan on diving here? Our ice cover is just starting to develop. Do you want to do wrecks in the lake or in the river? I would recommend Lake St. Clair due to ice thickness and the prescence of a few busted up wrecks. We have a few inland lakes around here with lots of stuff at the bottom also.

Jared,

First thanks for the reply was not sure if I was going to get anything back. As far as time of year a little later works better end of February into March would be the best. As far as the diving looking for something more than mud bottom and 30' of depth. We have been doing this in Canada for a number of years but would like to move here in the US and something to establish for the next few years. The two big items we need are access to a chamber no greater than 4 hours away and the ability to logde and feed approximately 15-20 divers. This is a new area for us so local knowledge will really help in making a sound decision. Thanks again for the information and look forward to your response.

Joe

The St. Clair river will fit your bill rather nicely if you do not mind a current. The farther south on the river, the less current. Vis is great with many things on the bottom. Our dive team practices the river quite often. In the northwest suburbs of Detroit we have a bunch of kettle lakes that offer decent vis (5-10) with a few small rec boats sunk in them. As for doing the big lakes it depends on the what type of winter we have. If the wind is howling, the ice will break up and large waves will ruin vis for near shore wrecks, and getting out of a harbor is out of the question. If we have mild winter with little ice cover, then you may be able to get out with a aluminum boat. There are chambers scattered throughout the state, but only one that deep divers can go to. Lodging is usually not a problem in Michigan, but for other Great Lakes state I would not know.

Hi Joe,

Do you guys already have the Ice Cert or are you looking to get that also? We have a few choices for you guys depending on what you need to do.

Getting on a wreck 50-80ft can be tough with the ice. Typically, wrecks that deep are further from shore than walking distance. Unless you are looking for smaller quarry type wrecks to dive that are put there for training.

We are all Cold Water Ice Diver Certified just looking for some places in Great Lakes versus going up to Canada. We dive a lake up there approx 1.5 to 2 ft ice with about 30 ft of water but very silty bottom that makes drills and bottom work almost impossible for training environment.

Morrison's Quarry is used a fair bit for ice diving. Depths to 120+. Still in Canada, but better than what you described.

We are all Cold Water Ice Diver Certified just looking for some places in Great Lakes versus going up to Canada. We dive a lake up there approx 1.5 to 2 ft ice with about 30 ft of water but very silty bottom that makes drills and bottom work almost impossible for training environment.

I would recommend Gilboa Quarry (near Findley, OH) if you are still looking for a place. Fits the bill reasonably well.

Back
Top Bottom