Ice diving thread (who is doing it?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Stoo Would you mind sharing your thermal protection setup? Or any advice? I currently use Weezle Wear undergarments, but am considering investing in a heated vest.

@Stoo Would you mind sharing your thermal protection setup? Or any advice? I currently use Weezle Wear undergarments, but am considering investing in a heated vest.

Well, first I grew a layer of "bioprene"... :p

Honestly, I don't do much any different than diving in the summer. I use SANTI 400 undies with a wicking layer underneath. One of the best things I ever did was ditch my wrist seals. (WHAT???) I use Viking bayonet cuffs, so my gloves can't come off. By removing the wrist seals, I get much better air flow into my hands. I often use those little chemical pack hand warmers. They work wonderfully.

In the winter, I typically toss on a light sweatshirt as well.

I opted for the standard boot on my suit. They're a 6mm neoprene job. I wear a light wool sock and then a thick pair as well. On occasion I'll stick toe warmers in as well.

And a 9mm hood, which is the bomb.

Many of my friends wear vests and love them. I've just never bothered so I don't miss it. Some of these guys are doing 2 hours plus dives though, and I'm way past that silliness.

And then most importantly, a Thermos of hot chocolate, possibly with a little splash of anti-freeze in it.

................ I often use those little chemical pack hand warmers. They work wonderfully..............

I thought there was an issue using those with Nitrox due to the faster chemical reaction.

the pictures remind me of Lake George NY. You have a nice place to ice dive!

I do. I've had a place in Tobermory since the late '80s. I bought this little "handyman special" with a couple of dive buddies and I still have it. I bought the buddies out over time, and fixed the place up, but I love it there.

I thought there was an issue using those with Nitrox due to the faster chemical reaction.

I've read those stories too, and while I'm sure there is some basis for the concern, I've never had a problem. I inflate my suit with air typically. When I dive mix, I inflate my suit from my EANx 50 deco bottle... also no issue. I thing the BIG concern is in having them in direct contact with your meat.

I recall seeing something about a guy in the UK who was badly burned. He was using one of the large body packs directly on his skin, and I would assume, under the weight of his tanks. I think he was inflating with 32.

I'll be taking the ice diver course in Halifax, Nova Scotia this winter! Looking forward to diving with Torpedo Ray's shop

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom