Ice Diving - Tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Layer up, just like any activity outside. Small layers.

Crampons, you'll slip, just not as much with them.

Small tarp(s) for your gear. Folding chair to relax in (when you're not in the water or tendering).

METAL shovel with a proper handle.

Sled for hauling gear.

As for in water, define the first stage a bit (take it into the shop and they should be able to do that).

Sealed 1st stages.

Try to minimize plastic on your BCD, plastic breaks when it's cold. Any quick release weight pouches, leave them in.

Nice thick rubber gloves are nice when you're tendering, and helping out around the hole (moving gear in/out).

If the dry suit is on, it's fully zipped. Same with any gloves. If you slip/fall in the hole, better not have a source of a leak.

Extra layer of loose socks and liners for the dive. I generally bring a set per dive (just in case).

Embrace the hot water soaks... hands, hoods, feet, regs, back, etc.

Have fun!

_R

Thanx @Stoo and @_Ralph
Great advises!
I dive a HOG D2 1st stage and 2 HOG Zenith 2nd stage.
I'm extremely comfortable switching from my long hose to my neck reg. I actually do this often in a dive as practice.
I wear a BP/W so no plastic there.
I like the idea of wrapping the regs in a blanket. Tarp, chair, groundsheet are all packed!
I do plan to bring 2 sets of dive undergarment for the dive and something else to wear after and in between. Being in the military, I own a lot of winter gear.

I dove my gear at Morrison Quarry when the water was 3-4C and didn't have any issues.

How low should my IP be and can I adjust it myself? the Tech at my shop is brand new and doesn't have a lot of experience.

How about any camera tips? I have a gopro mounted on a tray. Anything special to do for ice diving?

I dove my gear at Morrison Quarry when the water was 3-4C and didn't have any issues.

How low should my IP be and can I adjust it myself? the Tech at my shop is brand new and doesn't have a lot of experience.

How about any camera tips? I have a gopro mounted on a tray. Anything special to do for ice diving?

The trickest part in ice diving is in the water directly under the ice. That's the coldest and can be almost 0°C... and of course that's often where ice divers like to spend their time... putzing around on the underside of the ice. If you looked at those pics I linked to up above, the water directly under the ice was 1°C/34°F, but when we ventured down to 55'+, the water was about a soupy 3°-4°/37°-38° at the bottom...

I won't comment on the reg adjustment as I am no longer a tech, but it's a minor adjustment. If your guy is new, then you might want to look elsewhere! On the other hand, he might be excellent and up on the current thinking.

As for your camera, the only thing that comes to mind is keeping it warm (not hot) just to keep a little life in the battery. If you assemble it and close up the housing inside, just be sure the air isn't too warm and humid, or you're setting yourself up for some fogging when you hit the cold water. Perhaps consider one of those little dessicant packs.

I like to pre-cool my system before I dunk... :) (Pic courtesy of my pal Ali!)

Stoo Ice.jpg

wow im undercharging for my course in a week at 175 !!!! oh well I always give a great deal to my students ...all the advice the guys gave you is all valid , I would stress to use a sealed 1st stage or knock down the ip 20 psi ......have a good time in your course !!!!............steve

The water was about a soupy 3°-4°/37°-38° at the bottom...
As for your camera, the only thing that comes to mind is keeping it warm (not hot) just to keep a little life in the battery. If you assemble it and close up the housing inside, just be sure the air isn't too warm and humid, or you're setting yourself up for some fogging when you hit the cold water. Perhaps consider one of those little dessicant packs.

I like to pre-cool my system before I dunk... :) (Pic courtesy of my pal Ali!)

View attachment 399493

3-4C is a great temperature. nothing wrong with that!
As for the camera, I do put those moisture absorbing strips in it every time I use it.

that's one good looking pic!

wow im undercharging for my course in a week at 175 !!!! oh well I always give a great deal to my students ...all the advice the guys gave you is all valid , I would stress to use a sealed 1st stage or knock down the ip 20 psi ......have a good time in your course !!!!............steve
Steve,
Since you are a HOG dealer, is the D2 a sealed 1st stage? My understanding is that it is.
As for the price, I don't mind paying a bit extra to support my LDS. We are in the east end of Alberta, next to Saskatchewan so pretty landlocked, with only 1 lake around within a 2 hrs driving distance. It's a small outfit and they need to stay in business, if not I have no where to get air! Next closest shop is 2.5 hrs away. As you can imagine, there's not a lot of divers out here.

you will be fine with a hog reg ......have fun

The ice diving specialty was probably my favourite course. It was a load of fun!

I am a bit jealous, since this is the second winter in a row where we have not had enough ice form to be able to go ice diving. Air temps of -20C will be a bit cold though... Our favourite conditions are good thick ice and warmish air temps a bit above freezing-- fairly common conditions in March around here if January and February were cold enough for a good freeze.

Lots of good advice here. My only additional advice would be to have some ibuprofen or similar analgesic med handy for after the course... This was by far the most strenuous scuba course I have ever taken, mainly due to cutting all of that ice and moving/dragging it out of the way. My muscles ached for a couple of days afterward.

Hope that you get as much out of the course as I did!

@maj2 thanx a lot! yeah I'm super stocked for this!

wow im undercharging for my course in a week at 175 !!!! ...//...
How far are you from DE, USA? I totally need a vacation dive...

... Ok so no breathing in your regs before entry. What else?
What's the risk of inflator or dry suit valve freezing?
Leave your DS valve mostly open and forget it, it won't freeze.

Inflator? Short bursts with short delays in between. Don't be inhaling while puffing your suit. (Spread out the burden on your primary reg.) Everything should be nice, easy, and slow under the ice. Take your time and enjoy it.

You are going in amped. Hang at the surface until you calm down, pull your secondary out of the water, descend a bit and take your first breath on it just under the surface. Get your breathing under control. If all is good, it's a go....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom