Ice Diving - Tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You too! I hope the OP doesn't mind this temporary hijack. Brothers and sisters under Canadian ice. It is all good.

@racanichou, please write-up your experience. Have fun, be safe. Go slowly if you invert, knocking a mask off on an ice protrusion is no fun at all.

I'm going to do my 1st ice diving in 2 weeks.
pretty excited!

The outside temperature should be around -20C and the water just about 3-4C.

Any tips and tricks before I splash?

Do not exhale into the regulator prior to submerging. The moist exhalation will cause ice crystals to form in wrong places and that makes your regs to leak air. Also, do not get snow into the regs. If gear is frozen, it will melt in the *warm* water.

use one of these (Kraken DH):

ice dive stuff 042.JPG

Oh the Kraken!!!

looks like you had lots of fun!

My turn this weekend. the weather is suppose to be beautiful here now (around 0).
so excited!

Don't taste the sea pickles?

Lmao at a WWTP the other day..

Seriously however, a nice semi dry suit and a hot water pressure washer , with a lead dangling in the water is the best. Stuff the donkey in your suit and do the shimmy :). I only require a light wet suit to dangle in cold water, and the hot water stays in real well with some tape on the ankles and integrated hood.

Attachments

• 20170313_125032.jpg
    20170313_125032.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 52
I'm going to do my 1st ice diving in 2 weeks.
pretty excited!

The outside temperature should be around -20C and the water just about 3-4C.

Any tips and tricks before I splash?

I'd have to look at the standard but does PADI allow ice diving courses to be conducted with -20C air temperatures?

I didn't do PADI, I took my ice diving from IANTD but their standard wouldn't allow diving when it was that cold, IIRC.

At -20C you will need to assemble and check your gear indoors and transport it to the dive site already assembled. If you try "testing" a regulator with that kind of air temperature before you get in the water you'll probably end up with a frozen regulator and having to abort the dive.

When I did my course I think the air temperature was -15c on the last day and we needed to get in the water and submerge close to the entry point for a few minutes to let the gear "warm up" before continuing the dive. At +2 the water was MUCH warmer than the air so this was time well spent. Even at that I did one dive that day with 3 divers in the water, all wearing drysuits, which means 6 inflator mechanisms, and 4 of them froze.

Expect those kinds of problems and train to deal with it ahead of time.

R..

Back
Top Bottom