Icon HD Air integration availability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Icon HD is really a fantastic diving computer, but the lack of gas integrations is a serious flaw.

If I'm correctly informed, Uwatec (owned by Scubapro) has the patent for wireless transmission of pressure data. Mares must have turned to Uwatec and asked them to develop the Icon HD, based on the Galileo LUNA, but with several modifications, upgrades and tweaks. Also Uwatec already had gas integration available for the Galileo LUNA.

Earlier Mares posted that the parties involved needed to agree on certain areas with regards to the gas integration, so they needed to introduce this part at a later time. I guess the disagreements related to the price Uwatec/Scubapro wanted Mares to pay to use their wireless technology patent in the Icon HD ... ?

I'm sure there is a lot of "giants playing poker" behind the scene, and I'm certainly not saying it is easy to developing a product like the Icon HD. BUT I don't understand why the gas integration technology from the LUNA seems to be so difficult to implement into the Icon HD, when the two products are identical on so many areas ... unless the integration is already ready, but can't be released due to patent disagreements?

I don't know what is really happening and I can only speculate, but Mares really needs to work on their customer communication - like the work Zak is doing.

For instance; anyone knows of a way to get in direct contact with Mares, besides through this forum ?

/Jakob

Last edited:
I spoke to a Mares representative for the Benelux recently, the email adress should be available on the main website. The response was very quick.

I'm also Mares fanatic.Most of my equipment is from Mares. I recently bought Icon HD, and now I'm little worry that I will be stack with computer without air integration. I hope that Zak have some more info and he would let us know what is going on.

Hi all,

Sorry I've been away for a while. Quite honestly, I'm working twice as hard, I'm sure you can all appreciate this one way or another.

I'll try to address everyones statements, but keep in mind, I am not in Italy at the HQ, nor am I presented with all information until it is deemed relevant to the U.S. market. I can tell you my opinion so take it for what it is worth.

I have been with this organization for 10 years. Mares worldwide is a good company, and at the heart of the business tries to do the right thing by dealer and consumer. I testify from 30 years of working in this industry in one facet or another.

I understand the frustration or opinions generated regarding this subject. I also understand it is very easy to formulate an opinion about the whole, even though we may not know all of the details. I read through this forum when I can, and know there are many opinions. Some truthful and on point, some not so much. I don't want to get into debate about right or wrong, he said she said, but rather prefer to stick to facts.

It is quite unfortunate, that the air integration to the Icon HD is postponed. We are all disappointed by this development. I firmly believe this delay was not anticipated, nor planned. I am confident we did not launch the Icon HD computer with the expectation of the transmitter taking this long.

Whether we should have offered the Icon HD without the transmitter is subject to your opinion. My opinion is to offer it. The computer is fantastic, performs all functions a diver needs, is cutting edge as far as ease of use and screen display, it just doesn't have the air integration yet. Again, it is unfortunate the date of transmitter is delayed, I wish it were different for all concerned.

As a rule of thumb, Mares will try to develop proprietary technology first, opposed to following the direction of another company. This is the spirit of Mares and one of the reasons we are so innovative.

I am not at liberty or knowledgeable to discuss patent law, nor aware of any behind the scenes negotiations so I cannot comment.

I want to assure you, the transmitter will come to fruition. I have no doubt, we are working as quickly as possible to produce and deliver a quality, reliable, and most importantly safe product.

I really hope this helps to answer some questions or concerns.

Best regards,

Thanks for responding to the situation Zak, and I can imagine this delay stinks for the company as well and from seeing all the other great products Mares makes, that this delay is probably exceptional. I too believe that the Icon HD is a good computer as it is right now and will be even more so after the air integration has been launched...

Hi,

As a owner of Icon-HD, I'm quite satisfied of it. But one of two major needed features was the air integration. My other option was Suunto D9 but after look and feel of Icon-HD and news that air integration was free upgrade on spring 2010, I bought ICON-HD. Now of cource I also have experienced this delay but what bugs we most, it that now upgrade isn't free & the release date has postponed more than needed -> lost of trust.

So my problem was, that I didn't take screenshot and writen document of the upgrade procedure.

I've been with other features satisfied for ICON-HD since it's easy to use and with big screen which helps reading in nordic dark waters. But I'm interested to see when and how I have got THE icon-hd with air integration.

P.S Edited few typos.

Last edited:
All new technologies will have teething issues and yes we all want these things quicker rather than later.

However other than being able to monitor and record air usage, what real negatives are there in a minor delay. I would rather they get the implementation right.

If people are thinking that once this feature is available then they are going to be able to remove gauges from their setup then you are planning to take a great risk. There are certain things that we are meticulous about monitoring when we dive and air is a primary one. The more technology you throw at a solution the higher the risk of failure so even once the air integration is available I will still be maintaining a manual air gauge. It is safety gear after all.

All new technologies will have teething issues and yes we all want these things quicker rather than later.

However other than being able to monitor and record air usage, what real negatives are there in a minor delay. I would rather they get the implementation right.

If people are thinking that once this feature is available then they are going to be able to remove gauges from their setup then you are planning to take a great risk. There are certain things that we are meticulous about monitoring when we dive and air is a primary one. The more technology you throw at a solution the higher the risk of failure so even once the air integration is available I will still be maintaining a manual air gauge. It is safety gear after all.

I agree with you whole-heartedly. i will never get rid of my analog guages. That being said...it's just hard to wait on the new toy you were promissed.

Ditto !!! It hard to wait and delays are frustrating but I want it right. So, I need to look at my analog gauge for air consumption until Mares gets it right, not a problem.

I agree completely, never ever dive without a backup for air or depth measurement. A Dive Computer is electronic and electronics fail and at the worst times. Tardmaster and I were involved in another thread about someone ditching their console for the computer. A very bad idea. I am sure most would agree.

Hi,

As a owner of Icon-HD, I'm quite satisfied of it. But one of two major needed features was the air integration. My other option was Suunto D9 but after look and feel of Icon-HD and news that air integration was free upgrade on spring 2010, I bought ICON-HD. Now of cource I also have experienced this delay but what bugs we most, it that now upgrade isn't free & the release date has postponed more than needed -> lost of trust.

So my problem was, that I didn't take screenshot and writen document of the upgrade procedure.

I've been with other features satisfied for ICON-HD since it's easy to use and with big screen which helps reading in nordic dark waters. But I'm interested to see when and how I have got THE icon-hd with air integration.

P.S Edited few typos.

Putkis, I just wanted to respond to your statement "lost of trust, upgrade isn't free". The upgrade was never free. I am sorry you are misinformed. The upgrade program is to offer the consumer a brand new computer and transmitter, for the cost of the transmitter. The upgrade program has been stated this way to the dealer from the very beginning. I'm not sure where you purchased your computer, but perhaps you should speak with them about your misunderstanding.

I Hope you like it when the AI is complete!

Sincerely, from the dark waters of the NW...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom