Icon hd net battery drain

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mark260165

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Can anyone tell me if they are still suffering from the wrist unit loosing battery charge over a period of a few weeks.
Mine looses around 10 percent every 5 or so days, surely after it has desaturated it only has to run the date & time function in the background, that should take minimal power.

There must be something else running in the background thats not shutting down, I was hoping for another software upgrade to sort this but nothing yet!

My last computer ( A Uemis) was also rechargable and didnt drain more than one or two percent over a month or so.

I have charged my Icon about ten times since having it, so conditioning the battery must have been done by now.

Thanks for any info or help

Mark

That was one of my peeves with this computer before I returned it. It means you always have to store it plugged in as far as I could see. It's not addressed in the manual, nor were many other important issues.

@mark260165

Hi Marc,

I got my net ready two weeks ago, charged it and now it drains to 30%. That's 5 % each day! (Battery cells still not conditioned.)
I hope I will reach your value of 2%/day after some discharge/charge cycles. But still that's to much!
You are right, there must be a lot of hidden processes running in the wrist unit.
Mares should rebuild their firmware to get a reasonable power usage while the computer is in sleep mode.

Pumuckel57

Like i mentioned in other post this problem was main reason why Mares in Europe is replacing transmitters(becouse the drain power from comp and transmitter).However when I asked Mares about that at this forum i didnt get an answer.New units have serial numbers( mine doesn't have) and you can pair them with comp only if transmitter is connected to tank

I have the new transmitter, had it since October as my first ones battery only managed 17 dives.
The old transmitter could be woken up by the wrist unit, I suspect the wrist unit is looking for a transmitter all the time, I have had my wrist unit drain all the way down before.
I suspect a new firmware needs to be written stopping all background processes except clock once its desaturated fully.

Mares representatives, It would be nice to know if Mares are aware of this glitch & you are on the case???
Perhaps the IT dept dont know about it, all I can say is it would be nice to know that I could put it away after a dive charged & ready to go again with out worrying.

In Europe the aware of the proble thats why its impossible to pair transmitter with Icon without scuba tank and your first stage.Transmitter is activated only by tank preassure.

I will compare both, the oldone without Air-integration and the Netready with air integration. I got the new transmitter model and paired it. But for test the transmitter is not near wrist device. Both devices are locked.
I will wait 10 days to see the drain of the wrist devices and will post the results.

Pumuckel57

OK,

here are the results (after 8 days), both in Locked Mode:

Icon HD Netready 90% to 50% = 5% / day
Icon HD without AI 95% to 85% = 1,25% / day

That is a big difference. Please MARES employees reading that forum: Can you explain what the Netready is doing in the background. There is'nt a need to do so much more than the HD without AI, isn't it?

Pumuckel57

I charged my icon fully on the 9th Dec, did two dives then re charged it, just had a look at it and it's down to 20%, all it's had to do since the recharge is keep the clock running, COME ON MARES, PLEASE GIVE US A SIGN THAT YOU ARE AWARE AND THE IT DEPT IS ON THE CASE!

I am seeing the battery drain at about the same rate as all of you. I am presently seeing a 3%/day loss after 5 discharges and full charges. This is up from the original loss of around 5%/day when purchased. I agree. It would be nice to hear from Zak or someone at Mares that this is being addressed. My concern is that we are being ignored because there is no fix without a recall of the transmitter or unit or both.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom