ID: Goby or Blenny??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KrustyTheClownFish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I found this little guy when going through my pictures from Utila. I didn't remember him from the dive, only the Christmas tree worms, so it was a nice surprise. I couldn't find him in my book, with a yellow head but dark body.

Cheers,
Krusty

That's a Secretary Blenny. Cute, huh? Good shot!

You sure about that, Dee? I just looked up my new (woo hoo!) Humaan reef fish id and the secretary blenny seems to have dark black to brown head, not yellow like this little fella. Having said that, I can't see what it is - will have another look in book. Are the females and males different perhaps?

Last I recall, I too remember the diamond blenny as having the distinctive yellow head, and the er... diamond shaped head.

I took my Humann books out of the office. Can't check, sorry.

Squeeeeee! He's so cuuuuuuuuute! Lookit his little worried face!

*ahem* Excuse me. I have been known to get slightly carried away. :blush:

Thanks Dee, and thanks for moving the thread. I wasn't aware of this section here. I just got a copy of the Humann series too, so I'll check out the secretary blennies ...

Definately a secretary blenny. These little guys are everywhere on Utila.

diver567:
Definately a secretary blenny. These little guys are everywhere on Utila.

Are you and Dee looking at the same fish as me and Verona? I'm spotting the fellow with the bright yellow head, placed center and a tad to the left and down in the photo.

There isn't some weird yellow-headed variant of the secretary blenny in Utila is there? Stuff like this happens. Though if we are all looking at the same fish you'll have to explain the elongate snout too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom