I’d like some genuine opinions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brownsrule

Registered
Reaction score
Ok so I was a fireman for a while and was trained in swift water rescue. In 2012 I was injured and returned to school while down. One of my courses was a padi cert class at the local YMCA by a certified trainer. I completed the course accept the final dive at a quarry because our schedules just kept missing and eventually I just nixed the idea.

I am 6’1 and at the moment I have gained weight again because I was hit by a car while working as a medic (yeah the public service can suck) and I have been down for almost three months.
I am in good health and the doctor says that even though I’m hitting 260 at the moment, returning to physical activity will help me lose the weight.

SO my question is simply this. Is this sport something that can be done while I’m losing the weight? I loved the training I took before but would rather get some blunt truth if this is not a sport for larger fellas.
Thanks in advance for advice, thoughts and or tips. I’m looking at a Nuai training class that’s $185.

Diving got me active and I’ve lost 35 lbs to date. Your doctor will have to sign off on you diving due to your injuries.

What raises a red flag to me is an open water class that’s only $185. It is on a Groupon or something? You really do get what you pay for. In my area, that’s a sure sign of a diver factory. That $185 might also very well not cover everything. Look at the fine print. Maybe classroom time and poolwork are covered, but you have to pay extra for your open water certification dives and gear rental.

There are other things I’d be responsible for. They were actually recommended by someone who I know who works directly with the Nuai council. Hundreds of reviews and all good. I really appreciate the input though. Always nice to have multiple sets of eyes

Attachments

• 32D12AEB-5E31-4DDE-89A5-F06E166BBE26.jpeg
    32D12AEB-5E31-4DDE-89A5-F06E166BBE26.jpeg
    46.4 KB · Views: 65
So how much are you going to have to pay for certification dives? Better ask if it’s boat or shore dives. Boat isn’t going to be cheap.

All good info thanks. I’m going to call them Tomorrow. I just trying to be as knowledgeable as possible. Albeit they are very reputable and know my buddy very well, it never hurts to be informed.

He lives in Florida - classes are cheaper there since there's so many options.Plus they provide less equipment doing warm water diving so their costs are less. Even boat charters in some areas are more reasonable but likely still extra. Or they do the cert dives off the beach or in a nearby spring.

Diving can actually be pretty good injury rehab (saved me from a full knee reconstruction), although it's not a cardiac sport, so you're not going to be losing weight diving. However like @Marie13 you might find that the love of diving prompts you to lose weight so that you can partake in the type of diving activities you want to do.

I'm not plussed about the cost. Different things cost different amounts depending on where you are. If nothing else, it "gets your foot in the door" as far as getting your initial training done and giving you the opportunity to see if it's something you'd like to pursue more seriously.

Lots of fat people dive. Probably because once you hit the water you're weightless. That much being said, there are a few misconceptions. An overweight person who is clearly going to be out of shape still needs to handle gear, which means some physical exertion getting prepared for the dive. If you're on a dive and there's a need for physical exertion, such as swimming against a current to get back to shore or the boat, an overweight out of shape individual has a much greater risk of having a medical incident. Indeed, a large percentage of dive accidents are directly related to a medical incident that occurs during the dive.

Lastly, there's a common misconception that exercise will do a lot to help a person lose weight. It won't. When it comes to weight loss, exercise does little to nothing as far as shedding pounds. Don't believe me? Look it up.

I'm about your height and I've weighed more than you do in the past, including I think while diving. Relatively benign dive conditions with minimal or no current may agree well with you. While diving may not burn a lot of calories off directly, it may enrich your life, give you more satisfaction and hope to enjoy more as a counter-balance to a love of food, and so help indirectly.

Richard.

I have seen it work exactly as @drrich2 describes. A subtle mindset change that helped a friend change their mindset. Where there is a will, there is a way. Many shops will be able to help accommodate physical impairments. I personally believe that diving changes the way I think, for the better. I see no downside (otero than a positive addiction) to being trained in the ways of the underwater world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom