I’d like some genuine opinions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry--I and one other assumed wrongly that you are presently rehabbing from the injury. Or that losing some weight may be part of a rehab.
I do agree with JohnnyC. You can be in the process of losing weight and at the same time do some diving. The diving itself(unless it's like more than once weekly) will result in a temporary loss of a few pounds depending on how physical the dive is. In my case, those pounds are back the next day or two.

Diving is one of the few sports with an extremly high calotric loading, diving in cold water with a wetsuit or drysuit burns well over 350 Kcal per hour without getting you out of breath. Ironman, Tour de France bicycle racing and Biathlon burn similar amounts per hour Tennis, basketball, football, and golf don't (unless you carry the golfcart too).

No better way to lose weight! 3 hours of underwater time a day will burn over 1000kcal which is equivilant to losing 200g of fat a day.
Of course, if you eat in order to make up for the fat you're burning off every day diving - no advantage.
Consuming a normal 2300kcal diet every day will result in losing 3lbs per week of diving, with no weightloss on days without diving.
Add snacks, beers after the dive, lots of good rich meals during the dive vacation and you will end up paying excess weight charges for the plane without even figuring in your luggage allowance.:(

Michael

You can assume if we’re on this board, we’re fans of diving. Most of us older guys have had some sprains, breaks, tears, surgeries etc, although probably not as severe as your challenges. And we find diving fun and physically doable. You can look for more mellow dives, or take on challenging currents, etc. For me, I leave cardio for the gym. I rather have a leisurely hour long dive than burn through my gas swimming hard. There can be some exercise in lifting and carrying gear on shore and to/ from boats. Knees and backs can be vulnerable points. Boat ladders in rough seas can take a toll, too. Divers come in all sizes, shapes and diving styles. With more training and experience you’ll find what suits you.

OK so let me clear the air on some things because to be honest I’m not blaming anyone but I’m pointing out that many people are not reading my original post they’re just reading what other people are saying and then they’re commenting so let me say this :
1. I am in good physical health
2. I am in good physical shape
3. Being fat is not the same as being obese
4. I am NOT looking to do this to lose weight.

I am wanting to take up diving because I enjoy snorkeling and am trained for swift water rescue as well as white water rescue. I used the word fat because I am heavier than ever before. So this is just another adventure for me. I skydive, kayak, go white water rafting.
I hope I didn't offend you. If I did, I'm sorry.

Unfortunately, diving is one of those things that can quickly become all consuming. Just like you, I also had other hobbies before I took up diving. I miss them. :wink: Whitewater rafting is one of the most fun things I've ever done - but it's been years now since I've been to the Ocoee.

Some people combine hobbies. I combine camping, road trips, and diving. You could easily dive from a kayak - that's somewhat common in some areas. I've seen videos of people who skydive into the ocean with scuba gear.

I used to be an avid shooter... but scuba gear costs a lot.... and firearms have a high resale value...

Edit: I see that you're in Florida. We have a large bi-annual scubaboard camping/diving event at Ginnie Springs coming up at the end of March. ScubaBoard Fool's Spring MegaDive 2019
Usually somewhere between 50-100 people show up, I think they've had over 100 once or twice. It's a good time if you can make it. By day, we dive in the river and cavern (unless you're a cave diver). By night we drink and party by the bonfire. Come check it out! The owner of scubaboard lives in the area so he usually shows up (but is too good to actually camp with us commoners :wink: ). There are always plenty of new/inexperienced divers that go. It's not just an expert/cave diver group by any means. There are usually people of all skill levels that go, including people that don't dive or don't dive yet.

SO my question is simply this. Is this sport something that can be done while I’m losing the weight? I loved the training I took before but would rather get some blunt truth if this is not a sport for larger fellas.
Thanks in advance for advice, thoughts and or tips. I’m looking at a Nuai training class that’s $185.

Honestly, the best person to ask is your Doctor. If he believes your heart and lungs are healthy enough go for it. I personally know an Instructor who used to be almost 300 lbs (He's 1/2 that size now) and about your height and he certified 100s and 100s of divers while that size. I also know another diver that has to be close to 400 lbs. I honestly do not know how he found a wetsuit, but he did, and he dives regularly as well.

If you're currently losing weight, and exercising regularly, and it doesn't make you feel like you're gonna have a heart attack I'm sure you're fine, but I would seriously go visit the Doc and get their opinion.

6'1 and 260 lbs is a BMI of 34.5. Over 30 is obese by all standards.

You are not in good physical shape with those measurements.
I am more muscle mass than fat and muscle weighs more than fat. IM NOT OBESE JACKWAGON I’m fat as I have a gut that’s it. I have 18 inch biceps and a 36 inch waste. So You’re an idiot for not asking.

I hope I didn't offend you. If I did, I'm sorry.

Unfortunately, diving is one of those things that can quickly become all consuming. Just like you, I also had other hobbies before I took up diving. I miss them. :wink: Whitewater rafting is one of the most fun things I've ever done - but it's been years now since I've been to the Ocoee.

Some people combine hobbies. I combine camping, road trips, and diving. You could easily dive from a kayak - that's somewhat common in some areas. I've seen videos of people who skydive into the ocean with scuba gear.

I used to be an avid shooter... but scuba gear costs a lot.... and firearms have a high resale value...

Edit: I see that you're in Florida. We have a large bi-annual scubaboard camping/diving event at Ginnie Springs coming up at the end of March. ScubaBoard Fool's Spring MegaDive 2019
Usually somewhere between 50-100 people show up, I think they've had over 100 once or twice. It's a good time if you can make it. By day, we dive in the river and cavern (unless you're a cave diver). By night we drink and party by the bonfire. Come check it out! The owner of scubaboard lives in the area so he usually shows up (but is too good to actually camp with us commoners :wink: ). There are always plenty of new/inexperienced divers that go. It's not just an expert/cave diver group by any means. There are usually people of all skill levels that go, including people that don't dive or don't dive yet.
Not offended at all friend.

Honestly, the best person to ask is your Doctor. If he believes your heart and lungs are healthy enough go for it. I personally know an Instructor who used to be almost 300 lbs (He's 1/2 that size now) and about your height and he certified 100s and 100s of divers while that size. I also know another diver that has to be close to 400 lbs. I honestly do not know how he found a wetsuit, but he did, and he dives regularly as well.

If you're currently losing weight, and exercising regularly, and it doesn't make you feel like you're gonna have a heart attack I'm sure you're fine, but I would seriously go visit the Doc and get their opinion.

My ortho is a friend and an ass lol. Been free diving with him many times. He already cleared me

I am more muscle mass than fat and muscle weighs more than fat. IM NOT OBESE JACKWAGON I’m fat as I have a gut that’s it. I have 18 inch biceps and a 36 inch waste. So You’re an idiot for not asking.

I'm a muscular stocky guy, and at 6'1 with a large frame, I've got a similar build to you. Only I'm sitting at around 210 lbs lately, trying to get closer to 200 lbs but it's tough even with 1 hour long workouts at the gym 4-5 times per week. Best I've been in the past year is 203. At 210 lbs I've still got a bit of a gut, when I was at my max at about 240 lbs I had the chin, the neck and the basketball gut. You're 20 lbs heavier than I ever was and you've got 50 lbs more than me right now. The charts and tables don't lie.

Back
Top Bottom