ID this fish off Malaga, Spain

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TTA

Reaction score
Does anyone know what fish this is? :confused:

We were diving near Malaga off the south coast of Spain in about 5m of water when we saw this swimming in a patch of seagrass (water temp was about 20 degrees celcius and there was little current). It was about 20cm-30cm long and spent most of its time in a small clearing in the seagrass swimming with its head up in a vertical position (as in the second picture; it's in different positions in other pics as I probably disturbed it when I was taking photos). It stayed in this position for a while and did not attempt to burrow into the sand or hide. It was well aware of us but unafraid and when I was taking photos swam aggressively towards my camera.

Local divers had not seen it before either.

Sorry the pics aren't very good but hope they illustrate the fish!

Redfish 01.JPG

Redfish 02.JPG

Redfish 03.JPG

Redfish 04.JPG

Good photo...I never seen before

Thanks everyone! I knew that someone would definitely know on here. And thanks for your kind comments on my photography.

Amy - I use the Olympus c5060WZ. You can also tell that I had my Inon macro lens on at the time I took the pics as they have quite a bit of distortion on the edges.

I feel so lucky to have seen one swimming outside of its burrow as it seems from the websites that it hides most of the time!

Back
Top Bottom