ID wanted of red night critter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kukuisa

Contributor
Reaction score
On a night dive at Curaçao we found this red critter. It was at around 10 PM, just before spawning of star coral. Depth about 40 feet and watertemperature about 86.

To me it looks like a juvenile lobster, more than a shrimp.
The (adult) lobsters we usual see are the spiny lobster (Panulinus argus), the spotted lobster (P. guttatus) and the slipper lobster (Parribacus antarcticus).

Can any one identify this or give a link to a good ID guide on these creatures, special the juveniles?

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/110572/cat/500/ppuser/90346

I first thought it's a striped hinge-beak shrimp (Rhynchocinetes concolor) as it looks almost exactly like the one I recently shot in Alor under similar conditions as you prescribe them.

striped_hinge-beak_shrimpwtmk.jpg

but then I noticed that the tail is different, and also the colour of the legs.... Maybe it's another sp. of hinge-beak shrimp!?

Rhynchoinetes uritai? Looks like it in Tropical Pacific Invertebrates but not so sure googling for photos.

The genus name being suggested in response to your inquiry is correctly spelled Rhynchocinetes.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

Thanks all.
In the original post the size was not mentioned: about 1.5 to 2 inch.
I'm now convinced it is a shrimp from the Rhynchocinetidae family.
It looks like the R. rigens, which is also described in the Reef Creature Identification book by Humann.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom