Idea for getting back without a walk through transom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the info. Do you find 3 steps to be enough or would 4 be better? I have to try to figure out how low the ladder would be in the water once installed. The other thing I have to figure out is how to reinforce our swim platform. It is made of some type of synthetic material that is bolted to two stainless mounts. As long as the weight on the platform is over or between the stainless mounts, everything is good. My other ladder is mounted below the platform but near the edge. When used, the synthetic material flexes. This isn't an issue when we're just swimming. I wouldn't want to try climbing onto the boat with gear on and have the platform flexing. I will either have to weld some additional support brackets or figure out another way to mount the ladders. The way the platform sits. it is surrounded by stainless tubing so your style mount wouldn't work. I've got dive buddy that is good with a welder. I may have to see what he can come up with. Thanks again for the info.

Thanks for the info. Do you find 3 steps to be enough or would 4 be better? I have to try to figure out how low the ladder would be in the water once installed. The other thing I have to figure out is how to reinforce our swim platform. It is made of some type of synthetic material that is bolted to two stainless mounts. As long as the weight on the platform is over or between the stainless mounts, everything is good. My other ladder is mounted below the platform but near the edge. When used, the synthetic material flexes. This isn't an issue when we're just swimming. I wouldn't want to try climbing onto the boat with gear on and have the platform flexing. I will either have to weld some additional support brackets or figure out another way to mount the ladders. The way the platform sits. it is surrounded by stainless tubing so your style mount wouldn't work. I've got dive buddy that is good with a welder. I may have to see what he can come up with. Thanks again for the info.

The three step is plenty deep for us, I can see on a larger boat I suppose.

Yeah, the swim platform on our boat is hell for stout. I had no issues mounting to it. There are several different mounts that are offered, I picked the one that seemed best for our boat. I can imagine that it would be easy to fabricate a custom mount as well. Some boats don't use a mount, the bracket bolts straight to the transom. I considered that but I have this thing about drilling the transom more than I have already.

IMG_1607_edited-1.jpg

IMG_1610_edited-1-1.jpg

N

Yeah, I am happy with the amount of holes already in my transom. On top of that, there really isn't much in the way of room for something else to be mounted to the boat itself. The flexing of the swim platform bugged me every summer so I wouldn't mind fixing that once and for all anyway. The trick will be to try and mount both the new ladder and the old one. I am going to have to come up with something.

Unfortunately, after having received the info about roll control, I don't know if I am going to be able to install it after all. I was looking through pics of the boat I have on my computer and the spot I had in mind is going to be too narrow for the track. So now I have to find another spot, which isn't easy when the boat is only 18'6 long. My other option is to use one of the pelican 6-tank racks. If I go that route, I need to come up with a way of securing the rack to the boat without making it permanent. Ideally, when we're not diving off the boat, you won't know we dive off of it. I try to keep anything I do from being too permanent. We'll see. Makes me wish Christmas was next week so I could go get the boat and take it out fishing/planning without getting thrown out of the house afterwards!

Thanks again for the info.

Sorry weights are in the BC.

I have a buddy who wears integrated weights in a BC. One day he was on another buddy's boat and clipped his gear on a caribiner before climbing onboard. The captain pulled his gear aboard and then said he likes Hitler more than integrated weights. :)
I have two stainless grabrails on my swimstep, making it very easy to climb aboard, even in doubles.
Merry_admiring_her_baby.jpg

Dive_ladder.jpg

No_Pressure_lettering_10.jpg

Picture_0028.jpg

Phil_1st_on_the_ladder.jpg

Twin_Honda_150s.jpg

Roll_Control_1.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 31 foot boat with very high gunwales and this has been our design from the start. Although I have a tuna door that we use form time to time, this usually lets in an alarming amount of water in heavy seas so I opt not to use it at least when I am in the water. We remove weights first. Even BC integrated weights. Hand them off to people on board then remove the bc. We stand by with a line to clip off the gear but never had to as there is always someone on board to take it up.
If you go ahead with your idea, think about dragging in a line with 4 or 5 weighted BCs, tanks, etc, clipped off to it. You may want to do this 1 diver at a time.

John, I'm in the same "boat " with regards to the high gunwale. What kind of ladder do you use? Looking to start using my boat for more diving, and need a decent ladder setup. The thought of a custom ladder sinks my plans for a dry suit this year

I have a buddy who wears integrated weights in a BC. One day he was on another buddy's boat and clipped his gear on a caribiner before climbing onboard. The captain pulled his gear aboard and then said he likes Hitler more than integrated weights. :)
I have two stainless grabrails on my swimstep, making it very easy to climb aboard, even in doubles.

Phil_1st_on_the_ladder.jpg

I fully agree with you about the idea of hauling up weight integrated BCs with the weights still in them. It's much better to work out some way to remove the weights first.
As for the photos, being accustomed to dive with a lot of current, I'd never again want to see a granny/safety line as thin as that one. You want something thick and comfortable to haul on.

I too was tired w/ the rickety swim platform stuff so I had Action Welding in Cape Coral fl fabricate me a decent dive platfrom w/ rails and a 4 step ladder. w/the rails your hands never have to let go till you are in the boat. nice when its rough out.

Attachments

• So Mi 007.jpg
    So Mi 007.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 480
  • So Mi 001.jpg
    So Mi 001.jpg
    395.3 KB · Views: 424
Md Spear, that's a good looking ladder -- but what do you hold onto when you get to the top of it? I can't see what you have on the boat to hold onto as you step over the transom.

Nice outfit MaxBT! It is nice if you can run your hand grab rails up higher, like on MaxBT's ladder. It will keep you more stable while getting in and out and help you haul your arse out of the water. Otherwise, you'll get up and be looking for something else to grab a hold of.

Md Spear, that's a good looking ladder -- but what do you hold onto when you get to the top of it? I can't see what you have on the boat to hold onto as you step over the transom.

just above the top left rail is a stainless steel 10 inch handle on the top of the transom [you can just see the end of it in those dive platform pix]and ss handles on top of the motor cowls. So you always have a grip till in the boat. we swing right leg over and in and plot on the bench seat . I upgraded the seat foam 5 additional inches thick for a smooth landing of diver and tank. this pix shows engine cowl ss handles. [saturdays opening day of Cheaspeake rockfish season]

Attachments

• IMG_3421.jpg
    IMG_3421.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 531
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom