Ideas for pool training to incorporate comms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robbf213

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for some ideas for pool training so that divers that have never used the Buddy phone can try it out. The group we are training are going to use our OTS ffm and buddy phone. The pool is 9' end to end and the divers are going in two at a time. They will not be blacked out. I want to give them a simple task so they have to communicate. My original thought was to have some large bolts, colored washers and a nut, give one diver a color sequence and use the comms to tell the other diver what the sequence is and he puts it together. Any ideas? Thanks!

I would have them perform recovery operations with blacked out masks. Get them used to using the comms gear in scenarios that they will be using it for, and make it as realistic as I could.

We get only 12 hours a month training, so every minute has to count, so instead of just practicing communications, they're practicing search and recovery techniques at the same time.

I would have them perform recovery operations with blacked out masks. Get them used to using the comms gear in scenarios that they will be using it for, and make it as realistic as I could.

We get only 12 hours a month training, so every minute has to count, so instead of just practicing communications, they're practicing search and recovery techniques at the same time.

That would probably be a no go on the blackout mask as this will be their first time in a ffm. This group is all recreation divers about to transition into public safety divers. We are setting up multiple stations for the training. My station entails letting them get in the water with our gear, bc's, ffm and just letting them try it out to know what to expect when they get other than recreational equipment. There will also be an obstacle course on another station, as they are supposed to show up with way to black out their personal mask. Depending on their skill level and ability the divers will also be trained on a 180 and 360 search patterns. Thanks for the help.

How about two slates with one number on one (like 12) and another number on the other (like 42). Have one diver tell the other his number, the second diver adds, or what ever, the numbers and reports the result to the first diver.

Or, one end of the pool has a nut and an item with a corresponding threaded rod (like a bolt through a slate) and a ruler. The other end has four or five wrenches of differing sizes (like 1/2", 1", 1 1/2"). Diver one tells diver two what size the nut is after measuring it and diver two brings the wrench of that size to diver one, diver one threads nut to bolt and tightens. Divers bring assembly up for evaluation.

one more, have a number of brass tags that are marked with numbers. Each tag needs a matching number. Divers start at one end of the pool and after the tags are broadcast over the pool, they swim in one direction only, within arms reach of each other and try to find as many matching tags along their route without stopping. The evolution is timed to force a good swim while collecting. Divers are expected to have matching sets of one or more tag set when they reach the other side of the pool. Single tags don't count.

If you want this to be a "happy, happy" experience, toss a handful of padlocks into the pool and have the diver locate a lock, report the serial number to the tenders so they can give him the correct combination to open it. Easy, peasy.

If you want this to be a little more stressful, anchor a 90 degree bend to the bottom and have them build a non-geometric frame from 2" PVC pipe based on codes on pieces of pipe and instructions relayed to them by the tenders.

If you want to play with their heads a little bit, have a scavenger hunt: Find the Toypedo, then report back. Now find the knife and report back. Now find the plastic gun and report back. Now find the rotting corpse and report back...

If you want this to be a "happy, happy" experience, toss a handful of padlocks into the pool and have the diver locate a lock, report the serial number to the tenders so they can give him the correct combination to open it. Easy, peasy.

If you want this to be a little more stressful, anchor a 90 degree bend to the bottom and have them build a non-geometric frame from 2" PVC pipe based on codes on pieces of pipe and instructions relayed to them by the tenders.

If you want to play with their heads a little bit, have a scavenger hunt: Find the Toypedo, then report back. Now find the knife and report back. Now find the plastic gun and report back. Now find the rotting corpse and report back...

Thanks for all the great ideas guys! I appreciate it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom