Identifying old Pst tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

olphart

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have 2 PST steel tanks that are 7" dia and 24" high (w/o valve)
DOT 3aaa 3000
2628t
Pst
11 76+
I was told that they are 96 cu ft.
Is that correct?

OK I was hoping someone with better math skills than me (Awap) will give you a simpler method; but the rascals have abandoned us; so here's one way. Transfer a known volume into the PST tank. Divide that volume by the pressure now in the tank to give you a constant. Next, multiply the constant by the working pressure to give you the volume at working pressure.

For instance, let's say you rent/borrow/buy/steal an AL 80 which actually holds 77 cu ft. at 3000psi

77 divided by 3000 gives you the constant (0.0256 cu ft per psi) for the 80

Transfer a known amount out of the 80 and into the PST (let's say take it down to 2000)
1000 x 0.0256 = 25.6 cu ft out of the 80 and into the PST

So now, we measure the psi in the PST tank and we have say 900 lbs
25.6/900 = 0.0284 our constant for the PST tank.
0.0284 X the working pressure 3000 give us the full volume 85.2 cu ft.

couv

OK I was hoping someone with better math skills than me (Awap) will give you a simpler method; but the rascals have abandoned us; so here's one way. Transfer a known volume into the PST tank. Divide that volume by the pressure now in the tank to give you a constant. Next, multiply the constant by the working pressure to give you the volume at working pressure.

For instance, let's say you rent/borrow/buy/steal an AL 80 which actually holds 77 cu ft. at 3000psi

77 divided by 3000 gives you the constant (0.0256 cu ft per psi) for the 80

Transfer a known amount out of the 80 and into the PST (let's say take it down to 2000)
1000 x 0.0256 = 25.6 cu ft out of the 80 and into the PST

So now, we measure the psi in the PST tank and we have say 900 lbs
25.6/900 = 0.0284 our constant for the PST tank.
0.0284 X the working pressure 3000 give us the full volume 85.2 cu ft.

couv

Damn I don't have enough fingers and toes to figure that one out. :dork:

PST made some oddball 3000 steel 3AAAs some years back which were about the size of a 72 but thicker walled and, as a result much heavier. They were claimed to hold 80 cf, but whether that was with the "+" or not I cannot recall offhand. But that would sound like what you have. Perfectly respectable tanks - I wouldn't mind having a few. Being made to the bulletproof old 3AA specification they were probably notably heavier than a modern exemption tank of similar size and capacity would be - I'd be interested to know what they weigh.

Divers in those pre-BC days used to strap them on thinking they were 72s and sink straight to the bottom. Or at least that is the legend.

Last edited:
If those are 72's I can see why divers would sink--that's a lot of tank for 72 cuft of air. Faber MP72's (3000psi +) are just under 21" tall and 6.84" in diameter. According to the 1987 Scubapro catalog these tanks are -11 lbs full, though current spec charts have them at ~ -8.5 lbs.

PST made some oddball 3000 steel 3AAAs some years back which were about the size of a 72 but thicker walled and, as a result much heavier. They were claimed to hold 80 cf, but whether that was with the "+" or not I cannot recall offhand. But that would sound like what you have. Perfectly respectable tanks - I wouldn't mind having a few. Being made to the bulletproof old 3AA specification they were probably notably heavier than a modern exemption tank of similar size and capacity would be - I'd be interested to know what they weigh.

Divers in those pre-BC days used to strap them on thinking they were 72s and sink straight to the bottom. Or at least that is the legend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom