If considering a purchase from ScubaDiverGreg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greg - you might not like it but this is about your character. You sold and profited from the sale of a defective camera. IMO you're on the wrong side of this deal. Refund the buyer, get the camera repaired and move on.

A seller should certainly meet their obligations, but, prior to purchasing, doesn't a buyer have some responsibility to determine if the seller will personally guarantee the product?

If one is buying an expensive new item from a private reseller who does not have a dealer relationship with the manufacturer or distributor, can one really expect dealer level of customer service regarding returns?

Before you answer, consider that major dealers will occasionally sell new products with the expressed condition that any post-sale issues should be addressed with the manufacturer. They usually do that because they aren't backed up by the manufacturer/distributor for that product.

IMO, that's what should have been assumed in this sale and, if dealer level of support was desired by the buyer, he should have asked about it before buying.

Shouldn't we also take into account that there is nothing to indicate that this was anything other than an honest sale of a new product which was not known to be faulty?

In such a case, it seems to be punitive and unfair to the seller to expect him to guarantee and accept a return of this product.

Seriously, please correct me if I've missed something. :)

Dave C

^ Thanks for that.

I also made no profit on the camera, I sold it for about $200 less then what I paid!!

I went to sleep last night so was rather surprised to see this many posts. I'm heartened by the majority opinion, I fail to see how this is any responsibility other than Mark's/Marek's. The order of things is that the camera arrived around 3:30, I took the charger out and charged the battery. I put the battery in, put in the card I had purchased after paying for the camera and hit the Power switch. The Sea and Sea logo came on, the lense extended but the view was "fuzzy". I tried the "T"/"W" (Telephoto/Wide) nothing happened. After I read the manual I found out that depressing the shutter release halfway is the focusing method and I would be good to go. That was not the case. I've powered off/on, removed the battery, nothing. The lense does not retract (Seems stuck) in the extended position. The poster that offered the explanation on Paypal's policies hit the nail on the head. I had checked the box for goods (Even though Mark/Marek provided this method in a PM:To pay me with PayPal, log into your account and on the top left of the page you'll see a "send money" button. Enter my email address, XXXXXXXXXXXX.com(For the post I've altered his email), and specify the payment as a "personal gift". Then click pay. It's very easy.)) but Paypal will only investigate if it is a shipping issue (I did receive the camera). As for the remedy many of you suggest, I'll find out tomorrow as the Sea and Sea warranty center is about 20 miles from me. The warranty card was included but requires the Authorized Dealer/Date of Purchase. I don't know if they will honor or not but I will try.

Thanks
Mike

The problem that OldManandtheC will encounter is that Sea&Sea will only honor warranties if the camera is purchased from an authorized dealer. Since he purchased it from ScubaDiverGreg, the warranty will not be honored (I assume that ScubaDiverGreg is not an authorized dealer).

Regards,

Bill

I just finished packing up the camera/case and noticed that the camera's box has the S/N with whiteout and four numbers that match the camera's serial number written in in ink. I'm sure that's how it came new!

Have to say it sucks for both parties to be in this situation. I thought about purchasing one but decided to hold off and thankfully i did. But I have purchased alot of gear off here and so far no problems. One thing I always ask and make absolutly sure. Is that the Unit is in Perfect working order. I ask that there are no issues and everything works fine and the seller guarente's to me everything works. Sounds redundant but I ask several times to make sure we both are clear that I am purchasing and he is selling a properlly working piece.

I just finished packing up the camera/case and noticed that the camera's box has the S/N with whiteout and four numbers that match the camera's serial number written in in ink. I'm sure that's how it came new!
That's how it came to me. I never did anything to the box except handle it and package it. I'll have to look for the receipt, it's somewhere.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom